Rick Brewster

REMINDER: Please upgrade to Win10. Microsoft ending Win7 support January 2020.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

This means no more updates, especially security updates. This will put it in the same place as XP and Vista, which nobody should be using anymore.

I don't yet have a concrete plan for when Paint.NET will stop supporting Windows 7, which is when Windows 10 will become the minimum OS version*, but the clock is ticking. Maybe 1 year after, maybe 2 or even 3, it's not set in stone yet, but I'm not going to be able to support Windows 7 indefinitely.

Please upgrade to Windows 10. I know a lot of you really like Windows 7, and that's a perfectly fine opinion, but supporting it does hold back Paint.NET's long-term progression and you have to know I can't support it indefinitely. Windows 7 has had a great run! It's currently 10 years old! Celebrate that, and then upgrade to 10 :) You've got time, so don't panic, but definitely include this in your planning.

* let's just forget Windows 8/8.1 ever happened, just like we never say the word "Vista" out loud ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, Rick Brewster said:

Please upgrade to Windows 10. I know a lot of you really like Windows 7, and that's a perfectly fine opinion, but supporting it does hold back Paint.NET's long-term progression and you have to know I can't support it indefinitely.

BTW, this transition has already begun...

Starting with Paint.NET v4.2, Windows 10 will be required for HEIF/HEIC file support.