Question about Rotate/Zoom: Can't rotate on Y axis?

Hello everyone! Sorry if someone already asked this question before, I tried to search but couldn't find anything about it.

I'm using the Rotate/Zoom tool very often, and it's one of the best features of Paint.net to me! Unfortunately, I noticed that, while trying to use it today, I have problems with rotating an image on the Y-Axis (Or at least I think it's the Y-Axis? The one controlled by the middle slider). Using said slider doesn't do anything now, except rotating the image in a strange angle when combined with the Z-Axis (The bottom slider): Otherwise, it doesn't change the image one bit.

Is it a bug, or did the way this tool works changed with an update, and I just don't understand it?

Thanks!

The Rotate/Zoom slider controls are a bit confusing. They aren't X, Y, and Z; they're something like pitch, yaw, and roll. To rotate along the Y axis counterclockwise, move the bottom slider rightward. To rotate along the Y axis clockwise, move the middle control all the way right to 180, then move the bottom control rightward. Another way is to first move in the general direction by moving the graphic roll-control while holding down the Shift key to constrain the rotation, then use the bottom control to adjust the amount of rotation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJW said:

The Rotate/Zoom slider controls are a bit confusing. They aren't X, Y, and Z; they're something like pitch, yaw, and roll. To rotate along the Y axis counterclockwise, move the bottom slider rightward. To rotate along the Y axis clockwise, move the middle control all the way right to 180, then move the bottom control rightward. Another way is to first move in the general direction by moving the graphic roll-control while holding down the Shift key to constrain the rotation, then use the bottom control to adjust the amount of rotation.

Oh, I see! I choose the orientation of the rotation with the middle slider, and then I choose how much I rotate. It definitely makes sense that way.

And I didn't even know you could click and drag the graphic ball! I thought it was just a visual representation of sorts, haha.

Anyways, thank you! You're a lifesaver.

Thank you, Dwimepon. Glad I could help.

I always use the second method of using the ball to move in the general direction first. I really have no idea how to initially set the sliders to, for instance, rotate along the X-axis. As I think you probably now know, holding down the keyboard shift key while moving the ball restricts the rotation to X or Y.