Help with the creation of "border fading" plugin

Manette

Hi all,

I've just made my very own "Hello World" code for Paint.NET :) .

It's a program I developed using Code Lab 1.2.

Mainly, calling the code transform a selection like this:

file.php?mode=view&id=2785&sid=ec042718fbee4f5a0e6755d65f474755

into this:

file.php?mode=view&id=2786&sid=ec042718fbee4f5a0e6755d65f474755

Zoomed detail:

file.php?mode=view&id=2787&sid=ec042718fbee4f5a0e6755d65f474755

Features:

- Can "fade" pixel's alpha channel and/or color to a given target alpha value and/or target color;

- Selectable "fade length" (i.e. border width);

- Selectable rounded corner radius (may be 0);

- "fading" is not necessarily linear (can range from sinus-like -> linear -> cosinus-like)

So, what is my call ?

I'd like to share the code I wrote in order to find somebody who's willing to implement the Effect GUI and compile the DLL for us all :-)

Anybody interested ?

Regards,

Emmanuel "Manette" Jacobs

18699_680f3b5d992307ecda7407f4262dbafa

18699_10b2dfa0d832e4962954f3cb66f7aef7

18699_853234c06c1a0b80ff1d327bd2f37da5

What stops you clicking File -> User Interface Designer to implement the interface and File -> Save As DLL to build the DLL?

Maybe because I don't have Visual Studio ?

I just wrote the code in notepad then copy-pasted it in the Code Lab Plug In (directly into Paint.NET). Nothing more involved.

Be sure I really don't want to bother anybody, just trying to get help to transform a raw prototype into something polished / finished so everybody can use it.

I have the feeling the learning curve of understanding / working with VS, installing templates, understanding wich part of the files to change, edit, add, how all the blocks should work together seems to me as it will take a long time... (time I've problem to find...)

Anyway, having some help on the GUI / DLL compilation is not a condition required to publish the code, I'll publish it anyway.

Another question: could such a plugin be of any interest ? Maybe another (better) one already exists ?

Regards,

Emmanuel

Working with VS isn't so bad when it's for C# (basically it just works)

If you're programming C++ then it's a whole different story, but eventually one gets used to it

But just follow Simon's advice - it's the easiest way to do it

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

Manette, you may want to read the following pages. They should show you how to make a UI in CodeLab.

From the CodeLab help file:

...and finally...

I have the feeling the learning curve of understanding / working with VS, installing templates, understanding wich part of the files to change, edit, add, how all the blocks should work together seems to me as it will take a long time... (time I've problem to find...)

Just to reiterate what Simon & BoltBait have said: Codelab builds *.dll's :D No Visual Studio required.

I'll publish it anyway.

Please do. The accepted way to insert you code is between "code" tags in a post. However if the code is really long you might want to attach it to your post as a file.

Another question: could such a plugin be of any interest ?

Almost certainly! I'm interested and I believe others will be too. Once you have your *.dll compiled, ZIP it with a 16x16 *.PNG icon of the same name and attach that to your post. Actually the icon is optional, but its nice to see your plugin loaded in PDN with your own icon beside it. 8)