"Camo" Effect for paint brush?

GawkyOrpheus

Greetings. I like to make and edit minecraft skins but the online tool i use (https://www.needcoolshoes.com/) has its flaws and using paint.net would be much easier for me. Though, the tool has a feature it calls "Camo" where it changes the selected colour slightly when painting to give it a "Camo" effect (see attached) which looks way nicer than a flat color and sometimes a gradient would work I.E Flame. Is it possible to do such a thing?

As you can see in attached the "flamearm.png" has a better texture to it then the "Magma V1.png" 's flat orange.

Thank you and goodnight.

flamearm.png

Magma V1.png

Edit: "KnightV2.png" Is an example of how it can be used, The helmet, Tabard and Face have the effect it (as said above) has a better texture and looks nicer then if it were a flat colour.

KnightV2.png

Edited by GawkyOrpheus

• GawkyOrpheus changed the title to "Camo" Effect for paint brush?

Hello @GawkyOrpheus and Welcome to the forum :)

Your posted images are very small, so I will be guessing that you are asking if there is a way to change an area, already colored, and give it a "Camo" effect? 

Does that mean camouflage?

You would have to do it manually and be able to click on the pixels and use a plugin to try for that effect.  I can think of a few you might find useful, like 'Noise' & 'Pixelate'.

This may not be of any use, but I'll give you a link to a tutorial that shows how to work with small pixels:

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Pixey

Noticed "Noise" under "Effects". Thats pretty much what i was after, i was looking for it to be applied to the brush and not an after effect but i can still work with this. Thanks for you help.

I don't know if it would help but if you hit the little arrow where it says fill it gives you a number of different textures that you can use with the paintbrush and a few other tools.

abc.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GawkyOrpheus said:

@Woodsy

Not really as i was asking if i could apply noise whilst drawing live instead of applying noise after i drew.

Appreciate the help though. 

For that, you need nondestructive editing. Alpha inheritance can also work. Krita for nondestructive editing or GIMP if you're ok with just alpha inheritance. Krita 4.2 NEXT is most compatible with PDN as it supports reflect, glow, negation, and xor with all other pdn modes. Once you're done in Krita doing noise painting, you can import the file back in PDN.

Edited by Reptillian
  • Like 1

G'MIC Filter Developer

Can you use Brush Factory in combination with the Jitter setting? I'm sure a sparse "spray" type brush in a handful of appropriate colors along with JItter would produce what you want.

• Like 1