English GB (and other countries) localisation

charlco

Hi all,

With the recent push from Microsoft adding localisation and variation to the different English dialects, I thought it would be appropriate to create a English GB localisation for Paint.NET!

British English is used in:

United Kingdom (obviously)

Australia

New Zealand

To install,

Download here: https://yadi.sk/d/4u7xhz20wfcL9w

download the resource file, locate your Paint.NET install, usually located in C:/Program Files/paint.net

and drop the resource file in there. Start up the program, click settings and it should be labeled English (United Kingdom)

(Not sure how to get a proper name for it, couldn't find a tag for it.) thank you Null54!

Edited by charlco
adding fix from Null54 and credit

29 minutes ago, charlco said:

(Not sure how to get a proper name for it, couldn't find a tag for it. 

The resource file must use en-GB for the culture name, e.g. PaintDotNet.Strings.3.en-GB.resources.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Thanks for providing this but I'm not sure why a British (English) localisation (localization) option is useful let alone a necessary addition for PDN.

Apart from the American spelling of colour (color) and centre (center), the latter I actually prefer the US convention, things like the inconsistent use of "z" instead of "s" in some words is just as acceptable this side of the pond.

I'm very much against localising (localizing) English use online because:-

1). it is almost entirely unnecessary as the meaning, even with a slightly different spelling, is 100% understood.

2). the use of a standardised (standardized) English form on the web is IMHO the best chance the world has of creating a genuine cross cultural, universal first or second written and spoken language. Localisation (localization) of online English undermines that worthy aim and creates divisions where none needs to exist.          

IHaveNoName.png

On 3/28/2019 at 3:17 PM, welshblue said:

The thought of having to spell centre as center brings a flashback to the Poison Pixie who terrorised us in English lessons. 

She was pure evil.

I alway think @Pixey is an all round good girl.....Oh wait different spelling, damn English-GB :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

A standardised English form for use on the web would require some give and take but would it really be so bad giving up some of the irrelevant and often silly differences to make that happen? It is not as though we British English and American English speakers ever actually need a translator. We're used to US spelling from films and TV but British English spelling is widely accepted too, you just do not notice it when an "s" replaces a "z" or visa versa. Both are accepted in both regions and there are plenty of other examples.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spelling/british-and-spelling

Centre is a typical throwback spelling to its French origin and is compromised when you use the word centring, particularly relevant in connection to graphics programs like PDN. Centring in British English is either pronounced with a silent "e" as an awkward two syllable word cen-tring or actually using the "e" missing from the spelling ie. centering , the US English form.

But the US English spelling is compromised particularly for words derived from centre/center like central, eccentric, concentric, centralised/centralized etc all relevant to graphics programs and all spelt and pronounced the same both sides of the Atlantic.  

Therefore I'd propose using centre as a noun or adjective as in the Civic Centre but center as a verb eg. to center the cursor, making sense to use cen-ter-ing and cen-tered rather than cen-tring and cen-tred neither of which is pronounced in British English as they are spelt.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

34 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Back on topic ... the changes don't show up when I put the file in Resources ... that is the right place ?

Translations must be placed in the Paint.NET installation directory, see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/Translations.html#9.

Also, the translation filename is incorrect as I stated in post #2 it should be named PaintDotNet.Strings.3.en-GB.resources.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

20 hours ago, welshblue said:

@DrewDale ... seriously - she was a horror.  4'10" of pure hatred.  Whether she made you walk tiptoes around the room by your ear or the scruff of your neck ... or her party piece, rapping you on the knuckles with the blunt edge of a ruler.  

Well, that can't be moi - as  I'm 5' 3" (used to be 5' 4")  :(

But I have no problem switching between my UK accent and spelling to the American way - it's kind of fun :D

But I never ever use the English term .................... for an eraser 🤣

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you Null54!

Regarding IHaveNoName, I agree that it will be a hassle translating, but with Microsoft's recent push adding the different variations to their operating system, I thought it would be appropriate to add it in. In Australia, it's widely recognised that Colour (with the U) and using S instead of Z is the correct way to spell these words, along with New Zealand.