Cannot install

Having gone through all the fixes listed in the "INSTALL, UPDATE, OR UNINSTALL TROUBLE? READ THIS." it still is not installing

It will run the first part of the install, then the second part flashes and closes.

Help would be appreciated dont wanna go back to god forsaken Lunapic

Edited by Greyshirk

20 minutes ago, Greyshirk said:

Theres a gif, after the last window flashes nothing happens.

oJLqPos.png

The window that flashes is the part of the initial extraction. So, the actual installation process didn't even start.

Do you have some overzealous security software running?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I think you need to do this:

1. Next, download THIS (Visual C++ Redistributable) and install it.  Sometimes the paint.net installer can not install it for you.  By doing it ahead of time, you can avoid some install issues.
  2. Next, download THIS (.NET Framework v4.7.2) and install it.  Sometimes the paint.net installer can not install it for you.  By doing it ahead of time, you can avoid some install issues. 

Seriously.

Tell us the results of each step.

Just now, TrevorOutlaw said:

What is "Nullsoft Install System v2.51?"  Don't think I have ever seen that before.

NSIS is used for the initial extraction of the compressed installation files.  Nothing out of the ordinary there.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

Here is a video on installing the free version of Paint.NET:

(The part about extracting the executable file from the Zip archive can be simplified by just double clicking on the Zip folder and it will open then just launch the app setup.)

Edited by HyReZ

Another thing to check:

Depending on the archiving utility you're using, you may need to extract the paint.net install file from the zip before running it.

Please extract it if you haven't already; just to make sure.

bp-sig.png

2 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

Windows has been able to create and open compressed ZIP archives since the Vista version. You don't need a second party creation/extraction app.

Since XP.

Some people use third-party ones anyways. Never said I did.

bp-sig.png

@toe_head2001 is quite correct. Running the installer from inside the ZIP has been reported as giving some users trouble. Safer to extract the exe first.

Now you see why we gave the advice we did.

BTW: I drag DLL files from inside a ZIP to \Paint.NET\Effects\ regularly - so you may have to tweak your permission settings.

• Like 1

One reason to use a third party tool for compressed file types is that AFAIK no Windows OS can open RAR files natively.

If you're installing something like 7-Zip which can do that you might as well use it for ZIP files too.

Its own .7z format is also being used a lot now instead of the standard ZIP format for downloads although in PDN's case I've not come across any plugins that use it.

PeaZip is a good alternative as it can open most compression formats too, including 7-Zip.

BTW contrary to some of the lousy info you find out there only one tool can actually create or add to RAR files: WinRAR which is jealously guarded paid for software that also supports other compression formats including 7-Zip. In the absence of the necessity to create or add to RAR compressed archives 7-Zip, PeaZip or similar are preferable. 

IHaveNoName.png