paint.net 4.1.6 is now available!

Not the biggest fan of the new icons tbh, but I see why they are necessary (and it's not your icons in particular, it's more that I dislike the "plain" style in general, it looks crude to me). The only thing I have to criticize is when you did not only change the style but also the symbol itself (e. g. when closing an unsaved document, I'm pretty sure there used to be a red cross, not a bin and an arrow). That makes getting used to the new theme more difficult than necessary. Otherwise I guess I'll get used to it. As long as you don't make the mistake of going monochrome like Microsoft did with Office and Visual Studio 2013... that was the biggest fail after SCREAMING ribbon tab headers. 😂

Thanks for the layer rotation, now I just need the 90° rotations, too, and I'm happy (rotation zoom is lossy somehow).

The new icons look very nice.

Okay, I've only been using 4.1.6 for a couple minutes, but I can tell you right off the bat that changing the keyboard command for "Actual size" from Ctrl+Shift+A to Ctrl+0 is going to drive me insane. For weeks I'm going to be fighting years and years of muscle memory. The fact that I noticed and was confused by the change almost immediately should indicate how often I use this command. Also, before the change I was able to easily select it with one hand (my left), using the pinkie and the two fingers next to it, without even taking my right hand off the mouse. Now I have got to take my right hand off the mouse, use two hands, and find keys on opposite sides of the keyboard. Please change it back, or use both combinations.

I sent this to you in an email a week ago and I'm re-posting here to see if I'm the only who's unhappy about this. I still haven't gotten used to the change.

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

This change was made to match other software, such as Chrome.

Zoom In: Ctrl +

Zoom Out: Ctrl -

Zoom Actual: Ctrl 0

That's nice, and I thank you for your reply, but I rather the command matched the PDN I've been using for possibly the past 10 years. And I don't use Chrome either.

You can almost certainly find some macro software for Windows that will intercept Ctrl+Shift+A and rewrite it to Ctrl+0. I can't solve everything for you -- go figure it out!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That is intentional but it's also very old. It needs to be updated to work with respect to the selection. I have a bug filed for it somewhere. It's not high on the priority list but it's not at the bottom of the barrel, either.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 3/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, pschroeter said:

That's nice, and I thank you for your reply, but I rather the command matched the PDN I've been using for possibly the past 10 years. And I don't use Chrome either.

It's not only Chrome. It's also the hotkey in Firefox, Edge and Chrome-alike browsers such as Vivaldi. Chances are even your browser uses it.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, Kristjan said:

I can't get the "Shape -> Drap Shape Outline" tool to work correctly. It always fills the shape I'm making.

Can't reproduce this on my machine. Chosing black primary color and orange semi transparent secondary color in a new document, I can draw any shape (tested several) with any of the three modes and it works as expected. Also, toggling the mode before finishing with Enter (or Ctrl+D for that matter) works.

Can you confirm your problem in a new image with a new layer? Maybe you had some special settings such as a special mix mode for the layer or the tool and didn't realize it coincidentially produces your secondary color anyway.

Were the icons really that broken on high DPI Screens?
Do have one at work but I don't really remember seeing them being blurry, and from what I remember, Icons would usually just be upscaled, so unless you went with something "exotic" like 125% and 150%, 200% would show them fine (they'd just be "pixely" in comparison to other things made for High DPI Screens)

Or is this related to anything regarding .net Framework Applications?

Sad that we won't have the old icons anymore (would've loved a option to use them, but that would probably require additional support in the future when new stuff gets added) found them superior in many ways, but not much we can do I guess...

Having the Move Layers Command unfortunately makes that Menu quite big, moving to top/bottom is nice though.
Not sure why 180° got added as one could just repeat the action of 90° rotation again.
Showing Plugin Errors and the Bad Plugin fix are nice though.

Just now, BoltBait said:

I saw that, was wondering at which Zoom Setting this was and if it's something that only happens on certain ones or even at 200%.

Makes me wonder if there was a way to control that more, as in for 200% (since for the others this would happen regardless)

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

I'm not sure, but would guess 200%.

I, personally, run my 4K laptop at 300%, so the effect was even worse.

Can understand, I've generally seen it happen at non "power of two" values, same for other applications not behaving well with Scaling, so that's why I was wondering if that was 200%
(Guess there isn't much of a point in replying back and forth here (don't really want to clog up the update thread) I can see the issue, only thing that would be interesting to know would be if it works at 200%)

Edited by r543

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2010 at 12:06 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

There is also the four-fingered salute: press F5, F6, F7 & F8 simultaneously. Repeat the process to make the four windows visible again.

For those of you who love Red Dwarf, I'm going to start referring to this simultaneous key combination as the 'Single Rimmer'. To make it into a 'Double Rimmer', perform two loops of the hand from the wrist before hitting the keys with a flourish. boltbait.big_smile.png

😁  (who knew forum emoji respond to size changes?)

• Like 1

If you hover your mouse over the buttons at the top right of the main window, they tell you their shortcuts: F5, F6, F7, F8

So yes, it is predictable. It is, however, weird if someone just tells you out-of-context to mash those 4 keys.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 PM, BoltBait said:

While I generally agree with that, the fact is, the old icons were very broken on high DPI (4K) screens.

Hy,
i made an other post in a different tread bevore i read this now (and understand a bit why you "must" change the Icons),... BUT - i dont have a 4K Monitor (on Laptop) und sure the Rest of the world not everybody have one also - and will have one in the next time as an standard! So i dont understand why you ignore this true and give problems for the rest of the useres with "normal" hardware? It looks so terrible and it is not sharp and bad to see (specially with dark skin) . This isnt something better - this is just sad (for non 4K - Monitor - users). See also the picture what here was postet - is this not a argument?
If it is already developed in view of the future, but should at least be the possibility to adjust the old icons for the skin if you do not have 4K resolution available? Please.

Regards, Paul

(sorry, english isn,t my native language)

I do not have a 4K monitor either and the changes do not disturb me. It took me just a couple of days to get familiar with the new icons. I already forgot what the old icons looked like. What amazes me the most is the diskette icon. Who has one? 😄

I've still got a copy of DOS 3.3 on 5.5" floppies....one day these might be worth something! 😁