Issue with Uninstallation

If there are traces of the paint.net installation on your computer, you can use this utility to remove them:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Hello @Existence and Welcome to the forum :)

This may be relevant to you:

" The paint.net installer prevents you from installing directly onto removable media. This is to prevent all kinds of problems. You'll need to install to a harddrive first, then copy the installed directory to your removable media if you want a portable copy. "

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You mean on a secure digital card?

I would wait for RB's advice on this but I suspect you'd just treat like if it was any other portable app that had been installed on a flash drive or other external storage drive and just delete whatever is there in the normal way.

I'm surprised it installed on the SD card at all, if that is what you do mean, for the reason Pixey has just posted. 

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

Hello. The SD drive is an additional drive built into my system. It is not removable. I believe the Paint.NET app on my system is installed, not portable. It is installed on my E drive.

toe_head2001 I downloaded the windows uninstaller. Paint.NET isn't listed, so I clicked on 'Not Listed' and it asks for a product code. What is it I have to enter here. I have no idea what a product code is. I thought it may be something like a product key that comes with paid software. What exactly do I type in here?

Pixey I am uncertain exactly what you mean. It isn't a portable copy I am after. My solid state drive isn't removable. My computer had a ordinary C drive and 2 additional solid state drives. It is one of these solid state drives that the Paint.NET app is installed on. I believe that is why it isn't listed in the usual way of uninstalling (programs and features).

IHaveNoName No, it is an SSD (solid state drive). It isn't portable and the Paint.NET app is installed. Yet it is not listed in programs and features.

Any other ideas?

Attached1.PNG

Attached2.PNG

I don't think it should be on your E drive either.  Have you tried downloading to C drive?

Also:

One of the easiest ways to clean up files you no longer need is by using Disk Cleanup.
  1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button . ...
  2. If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then select OK.
  3. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box in the Description section, select Clean up system files.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thankyou Pixey. I installed on E drive because of space. And thanks for the advice on Disk Cleanup. But it makes no difference to getting the app uninstalled. The issue is that it is not listed in programs and features, so I have no way of uninstalling.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:00 PM, Existence said:

it asks for a product code. What is it I have to enter here. I have no idea what a product code is. I thought it may be something like a product key that comes with paid software. What exactly do I type in here?

It's looking for an MSI GUID. Don't worry about that though.

If it's not listed, then as far as Windows Installer (MSI) is concerned, it's not installed.

You can just delete the program files.  Or if you want to be 101% sure, you can reinstall Paint.NET to the same location, and then you should be able to officially uninstall it.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

toe_head2001 Hello. Thanks for that. I have reinstalled Paint.NET on my E drive. It now appears in programs and features. 

So are you sure it is safe to just delete the old Paint.NET folder (See attached). The Paint.NET folder in the snip is the old folder that was there BEFORE I installed it again.

Thx v much.

Attached1.PNG