How to change a PDN file to a PNG file

I accidentally saved a file as a PDN intend of a PNG. Now when I try to open in up in Paint.net it gives me an error message of "there was an error opening this file". When I click show more details I get this: 

Application version: paint.net 4.1.5

System.FormatException: file is not a valid paint.net document
   at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1333
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

I so hope there is a way to fix it, if not I would have wasted 2 hours on nothing.

Hi @Stefanie and Welcome to the forum :)

Alas, this sort of things happens to even the most experienced users on here.  It's so annoying - human error 😉

Can you remember what you called it originally?  If so you might want to use the Windows Search on your computer to find it if it's still a .pdn hiding somewhere.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I just tried the same thing and saved a file as a .PDN and had no trouble opening it. If you saved a multi layered file as .PNG it will merge all of the layers asks you to confirm before completion. Once merged that can't be un-merged. I have altered a file extension by mistake but renaming it back to the correct extension did not prevent it from opening. It appears that some other event has occurred that you have not mentioned or are unaware of.

Use this plugin to identify the file:

If it is a PDN, right click on the file > Rename and type in the filename with the extension .PDN

If it is a PNG, right click on the file > Rename and type in the filename with the extension .PNG

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I don't think the OP has a problem finding the file. If that was the problem PDN would simply report the file could not be found.

From what was said the file is being opened correctly but not recognised as a PDN file or any other image file. As another has suggested here that sounds like an extension naming issue. Whatever format the file was saved in should make no difference PDN should still open it if it has the correct extension for the file type.

I've checked and that is the error message you get when a PNG image file is saved as:-

image name.png.pdn

I would suggest that the OP has accidentally renamed the original file (may be by using Save rather than Save As) to that or some similar mistake.

By default Windows does not show the actual file extension so to delete that and replace it with the likely now correct .png they will have to use the folder view options to display the actual extension being used (for Windows 7) :-

Windows Explorer > Organize tab > Folder and search options > View tab and then untick the option to "Hide extensions for known file types" > click Apply.

Now go to where that image file is and it will show the actual extension, probably .pdn. Change it to .png and once done that should be it.

It should now display with the default .png Windows icon and open in PDN as a PNG. When you exit from changing the extension Windows will flag up a warning message about the file may not open blah, blah, blah. Ignore it.

You should change back the Folder.....> View menu option to re-hide file extensions again. Once done, rename the image so it is not actually named "image name.png" or whatever the naming problem was.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png