Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Antique Lamp and Shade

Tips #1

Spoiler

Build up your image on different layers.  This has 2 benefits a) you can easily delete something you don't like. b.) Using different colours helps to see where you may want to change

Align Object helps to keep things symmetrical.  Draw your shape.  Centre it.  arrow key it into posirion

The majority of the tutorial template was made using the Rounded Rectangle shape tool.  The ability to choose corner height is really useful in getting a nice flow.   Cutting a rectangle in half after being drawn gives pleasing results too.

Tip-1.jpg

Try to keep protusions as smooth as possible.  Large sudden shapes don't always 'Texture Obect Round/ Texture Shade' very nice.
One way to minimise a poor finish is to keep a copy/duplicate of the protuding layer(s) ... then run Drop Shadow on it after Texture Shader.
Not perfect but it does help it blend in a lot better.

Tip-2.jpg

Line Tool can be useful to get a body shape.  Draw a line and curve it using the 'nubs'.  Duplicate the line.  Flip it vertically.  Fill it in.  Hey presto.  Body shape.  Don't worry too much about stritations, as they blend in pretty good with Texture Shader ... but it is worth running AA's Assistant a couple of times before running Texture Object Rounder.

Tip-3.jpg

It pays now and again to 'Flatten' >>> Run Texture Object Rounder with the shading visible >>> Undo back to the layers being intact.  This helps to see if you're happy with the shape/ flow

More tips as I think of them ... 

I'll be posting a texture pack that works well, some different settings and also a video where I will explain more about how different Texture Shader settings give different outcomes, later in the week.

To do the same image as the tutorial in S3D it would take 15 layers with multiple settings/ countless time of trial and error and you wouldn't get the same texture no matter what,, because Texture Shader is so good at mapping once you know the sliders

Edited by welshblue

<Placeholder for the video. >

Sorry Mods' but it keeps my OCD in check to have things structured and ordered ... merge if I'm in violation

I also thought it would all be easier to follow split up parts

<3 @welshblue!

That's first try. Later I would like to design other species. Thank you so much. Points come later too. :cake: :coffee:

06032019-Lamp.png

• Like 4

Love the whole 60's vibe @Seerose ... very retro and psychedelic.  You'd get a few orders if you manufactured that lampshade

Great job

@MJW @toe_head2001 @ReMake @doughty ... thanks for the rep' guys. 

My most thought out, involved tutorial to date.  The hours add up to a lot, as do the test files.  

I don't know how many times I've had a row for screen deafness and not doing things I was asked to 🤐

It's worth it just to help people use two great plugins that give fantastic results ... ray tracing of some sort has to be possible ?

• Like 1

That's an interesting shape @Seerose ... great ink splash pattern.. It would be interesting to see if you still had the original shape,  that when you run Texture Shader,  to increase the Texture Height Scale (and increase Clipboard size if the texture starts to disappear ) and play with the lighting ball slightly ... that could really 'pop'

Always nice when others plant a seed in my head ... rep point tomorrow ... this is for you ...

seerose-idea.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

<3 @welshblue

I couldn't let it go. Another two version made. 

Thank you so much for your gift, for your effort and time. 🍰 

06032019-Lamp12.png

07032019-Lamp13.png

• Like 1

@welshblue LOVE this and many thanks for the tutorial.  It's obvious that the initial 'shape' is so important and your rendition of the lamp is perfect.  Silly question, but are the different colors paramount to the end result?

Oh - I fixed the Texture Shader link for you, which was not working.

Here's my attempt:

Antique-Lamp-WB.png

• Like 2

2 great new additions @Seerose ... love the shade on the second one (working on your PM )

12 hours ago, Pixey said:

Silly question, but are the different colors paramount to the end result?

No that was for my benefit when building the template up.  To see which layers I wanted to delete or alter to keep it as natural as possible.  Trial and error.

I did make a video to show that the only things of importance are in Texture Shader ... all depending on the starting texture.  Different textures need different adjustments.

Texture Height Scale.  Texture Height curvature and possibly Clipboard Image Size.  

But I haven't uploaded it because a.]  A bad throat made me sound like Alvin the chipmunk ... b. ]The phone rang and I didn't pause the video 😌

(Nobody wants to hear me getting irate with scammers saying I owe the HMRC £13000)

Great colour on the  lamp. (not sure why it's showing some of the Object Rounder map 🤨 I'll investigate)  Very bling bling ... love the shade

Oh wow @Seerose ... what a neat design.  I really like how you've run with this ... I'm getting old when I think lampshades are 'cool' 😋

• Like 1

@welshblue no need for you to 'check' the settings of your .xmls.  I played around with the settings when I made the lamp 😁

5 minutes ago, Pixey said:

I played around with the settings when I made the lamp 😁

Sadly,  I was thinking about it earlier as I was walking around yet another shoe shop (why is it she goes to 5 shops but always goes back for the 1st pair.  Every time)

I was wondering if you used gaussian blur before texture shader as that throws up the same result.  Whatever - it still looks cool 

• Like 1

Sorry it took me so long to try this @welshblue     I got waylaid by cross-stitching.   🤣

Excellent tutorial.  <3   Here's my take on it:    Lampshade pattern is my own made with @toe_head2001 's Tartan plugin.  

I re-purposed your lamp texture for my table.   :P    The lamp is 'on'.

antiquelamp_01.png

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 5

<3  @Pixey! and <3  @lynxster4!

Such beautiful results. The colors are also very good. Thank you for sharing this with us! :cake: :cake: :coffee: :coffee:

(Morning determined).

Edited by Seerose

@Seerose ... that's such a big difference.  No thanks needed, always happy to help if I can.  Bokeh background a great idea

@lynxster4 ... there's never a time-frame to do tuts' 😉 

Great  colour matchings with the background etc.  Nice job.  Light on light off ... reminds me I've got 2 light bulbs I want to add

• Like 1

Not intentionally bumping but I thought I'd better share what I learned after wasting a few hours.   I wouldn't want anyone doing the same

Once you run Texture Object Rounder ... don't resize the heightmap before Texture Shader.

resize-lamp.jpg

I really must learn to save ... 

• Like 2