Suggestion: show selection ratio instead of pixel area

I've been working with Paint.net for a while and it's great for annotating screenshots and doing quick edits on photos and images. There's just one thing that I think could be improved very easily.

When you make a selection, the status bar at the bottom of the screen shows the starting coordinates and the resulting size, which is useful. However, it also shows the total pixel area, which isn't very useful IMHO.

I've seen other editors (Paint Shop Pro) that display the ratio of the selection, so for example "1,3333" is 4:3 and "1,7777" is 16:9 etc. Which I've often found helpful to roughly find a nice crop selection that will also fit the desired canvas ratio. For example, to fit a cropped photo into a webpage layout, or match the required size ratio for a photo printing service.

So my question is;
When selecting, is it possible to replace the pixel area info with the selection ratio?

paint_dot_net_question.jpg

Edited by BdR
  • Upvote 1

Hey BdR - welcome to the forum :)

I like your suggestion, although I'm going to suggest ratio as well as area, not instead of. There's no sense upsetting users who find the Area info useful 😉

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hey BdR - welcome to the forum :)

I like your suggestion, although I'm going to suggest ratio as well as area, not instead of. There's no sense upsetting users who find the Area info useful 😉

Thanks. And I'm just wondering if there are users who finds this metric useful. I mean, what is the usecase?

If it's for determining memory size, that is already available in menu under "Image > Canvas Size".

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick mention; I never realised the Rectangle Select tool has a "Fixed Ratio" option. That kind of already does what I was looking for, except better :D

Although, displaying the ratio can still be useful I think.

Edited by BdR