Once G'MIC'ed play with Opacity/ Blend Modes.  I kept it about 230 Opacity

cross-stitch-tutorial.jpg

And that's sewn that tutorial up ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Optional with GridWarp ... I kept all layers separate and ran it on each layer

Grid-Warp-Cross-Stitch.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Has anyone got any ideas about how to change clip art images into a cross stitch effect type thingy?  

I thought I saw a Lego tutorial here but I must have been mistaken ... and was thinking about a few tweaks to that sort of style

Thanks for the rep @lynxster4 @ReMake @dipstick @HyReZ ... looking forward to you stitching yourselves up 😋

@HyReZ Thank you.  I wasn't entirely sure I'd seen one.  Just didn't think of looking in that board 🤨

Bitte schoen @Seerose ... I really like how you've done the water lily ... did you cut it out or painstakingly painted every 'stitch' ?

Great job

• Like 1

Here's my attempt at it @welshblue    The lettering is fine, nice piece of work!  <3

I  see shapes are going to be problematic.  I tried two different techniques; you be the judge.

The cross-stitch around my picture is one from my 'Knitting Texture' tutorial. applied with TR's Paste Frame.

crossstitch_01.png

crossstitch_02.png

• Like 5

@lynxster4 Love the colouring on your canvas - like an aged sampler from the Victorian era.  The framing technique you used is very effective and simulates stitching beautifully.

Shapes.  I'm still experimenting with how to get it 'real' ... like looking for a needle in a haystack so far.

There are some custom brushes for stitches that do a great job, but you can lose the will to live pretty quickly on something like a flower, click click click about 50 times ... that's without clicking undo when you've got the rotation wrong ... watch this space, but don't hold your breath or else you might turn blue ☠️

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

Shapes.  I'm still experimenting with how to get it 'real' ... like looking for a needle in a haystack so far.

There are some custom brushes for stitches that do a great job, but you can lose the will to live pretty quickly on something like a flower, click click click about 50 times ... that's without clicking undo when you've got the rotation wrong ... watch this space, but don't hold your breath or else you might turn blue ☠️

Thank you for the nice compliment, welshy!  <3

The first heart I used the 'underscore' key of the cross-stitch font. I put a line of x's each on its own layer.  So, I had nine layers. Then moved them around and used the eraser tool. I had the outline of a heart drawn on another separate layer.

The second heart, I made a brush to use in Brush Factory.  That was even more tedious than the first method; my hand was starting to hurt! You have to have the outline on the same layer as you're applying the brush, so a lot of erasing later. 

What we need is a plugin to apply x's. Any takers?? One that would fit the x's in and not cut them off. I'm talking an irregular shape here or a circle.

Here's a third method using a cross-stitch brush:  Copy the brush to the clipboard. Select your heart outline and go to a blank new layer. Use BB's Fill from Clipboard and fiddle with the settings until satisfied.  Then erase the x's that mostly got cut off and fix x's that you want to keep. This is also very tedious. I do think the thickness of my brush needs to be wider, though and maybe less space between the x's.

I'm at a loss for the moment.  Would love to solve this because we've got a nice little 'sewing' corner going!  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

What we need is a plugin to apply x's

In my younger days that was my mouth 😜  How times have changed ... 

I've tried all the text plugins ... you can make circles but then you're just going around in them ... 

Something that could take a simple image like THIS and generate x's would be great .   Got to be a quicker easier way than brushes

There these https://www.deviantart.com/aaherregud/art/Stiching-Pixels-261119159 ... I thought I'd linked to it

Edited by welshblue

8 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

What we need is a plugin to apply x's. Any takers??

TileWorld. Make one X then tile it using the mouse. Full support for transparent tiles.

DemoChessboard.png.60cf0c8f1536c5c1ee84a

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

TileWorld

I'll give that a whirl.  Thanks.

@AndrewDavid ... nice.  I really like the embroidered look you've got going there

I colored the flower and then used the Pixelize effect.

Created one cross stich  the same size as a pixel block and copied to the clipboard

I added a layer Used Boltbait's Fill from clipboard.

I started messing with the layers modes and got lost.:) 

I ended up with this:

my-cross-stich-flower-55d481d.png

• Like 3

@Eli ... that is extremely clever.  I wish I could give you an extra rep + point.  Reminds me of times gone by of playing Mario until 2 a.m. and having to get up at 6 

2 great suggestions.  

My TileWorld attempt ... needs polishing ... clipboard as a background would be good.  But don't want to trouble EER

tile-world.png

Some really good suggestions here. <3    Be experimenting this weekend!   :D

23 minutes ago, Sakana Oji said:

I tried to use G'Mic but the whole program froze and did nothing. What?!

I dunno.

If you're having problems with G'MIC you're better off asking there 

1 hour ago, Sakana Oji said:

I tried to use G'Mic but the whole program froze and did nothing. What?!

There means here . See readme for installation -

Edited by Reptillian

There has already been a PDF made for this tut. It just hasn't been posted.

• Like 1

Sorry - I am late to the party :)

needle-point-cat.png

• Like 2