"Corner Size" Adjustment for Custom Shapes

How I do give my custom shape the "Corner Size" parameter which is available in the built-in Paint.NET shape "Rounded rectangle?

The "Rounded rectangle" is very nearly what I need, but needs a slight modification. I was thrilled to discover you can make custom shapes in XAML and with ShapeMaker, but can't find any options for adjustable parameters. 

CornerSizeAdjustment.PNG

Edited by nuk
Add Image

Hi Nuk - welcome to the forum :)

5 hours ago, nuk said:

How I do give my custom shape the "Corner Size" parameter which is available in the built-in Paint.NET shape "Rounded rectangle? 

You can't. Custom Shapes do not have this ability within Paint.NET.

If you show us what you're after maybe someone can come up with a workaround or perhaps even a plugin.

Thank you for the welcome! I've been using and loving Paint.NET for years, but only now am joining the forum 🙂

I'm making some how-to photos. First I do some minor image editing, then on the last step I draw a box around the target to help highlight it. For visual consistency, I'm using the same color across all photos. Unfortunately, the primary box color is similar to the background color for some of these photos, so the box needs a second color around its border to increase contrast. In PowerPoint this is easily accomplished and repeated with the "Glow" shape effect.

To accomplish something similar with the Paint.NET Custom Shapes, I wanted to extend your "Box Emphasis" custom shape. A similar glow effect can be had with setting fill mode to "Draw Filled Shape With Outline", but unfortunately the Box Emphasis shape does not scale well. If I want to make a tall box, then the top/bottom edges become much wider than the left/right edges, and vice versa for a wide box. To fix this, I wanted to add a new "Frame Width" parameter which would programmatically set the width of the edges so they're consistent for taller and wider rectangles.

"Glow" Shape Effect in PowerPoint, with base image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Smiljan_Memorial_Center_Modified.jpg

image.png.068ebe4735b3f05986ab71b5bb40bdb2.png

6 hours ago, nuk said:

so the box needs a second color around its border to increase contrast. In PowerPoint this is easily accomplished and repeated with the "Glow" shape effect.

Render the rounded box to it's own layer then apply one of the Object Outline plugins to add another border.

6 hours ago, nuk said:

but unfortunately the Box Emphasis shape does not scale well. If I want to make a tall box, then the top/bottom edges become much wider than the left/right edges, and vice versa for a wide box.

Use the Brush Width option in the Toolbar to set the thickness of the edge of your Shape.