Print Error Messages (Paint.Net Version 4.1.5)

I have been using Paint.Net for years and lately I have encountered an issue when attempting to print.  It's odd but these error messages pop up (one after another; today five of them!) and after closing the error messages I can still print.  I have looked in the settings but do not see where I can set the default printer or printer settings.  Has anyone else encountered this printing issue...? (See the attached screenshot)

Thank You...!

Carl (Edmonds, WA)

paint.net_print-error-messages.PNG

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy makin' other plans..." john lennon

Paint.net uses the basic 'Print Pictures' wizard that is built into Windows.

If you right click on an image file in Windows Explorer, and select the 'Print' menu item, do you see the same error messages?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 2 months later...

sorry for the really late reply... the printing issue is still a problem... not sure what's going on but i still get the error messages as noted in my first posting...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy makin' other plans..." john lennon

Try using this plugin to print your image  https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/28520-print-it-tools-effect/

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, toe_head2001 said:

"Paint.net uses the basic 'Print Pictures' wizard that is built into Windows.

If you right click on an image file in Windows Explorer, and select the 'Print' menu item, do you see the same error messages?"

thanks for the reply, toe_head2001... apologies for the lateness of this 'return reply'... i did try your suggestions and the same errors popped up and clicking the print button, again the error message popped up, then the printer spit out a blank sheet of paper...

of the millions of users using paint.net, i guess i am the only one having this problem because my guess is that the 'windows photo printing interface' on my computer is corrupted(?)... in all the times i print whatever i need to print at the time, this is the only program, because it relies on said printing interface, that i have problems printing from within paint.net or printing from within file explorer when right clicking on a photo to print... ☹️

i looked at 'ego eram reputo's" suggestion on the plugin to use for printing but decided it was too many hoops to jump through to be able to print from within paint.net... I love paint.net for its ease of use when wanting to create something 'on the fly'... so, when i need to print whatever i created in paint.net, i just open one of my other graphics programs and print the image from there... yeah, a little cumbersome but better than having four or five error messages pop up when all you want to do is print... :-) guess my other graphics programs rely on a better printer interface than the windows one...

oh well... thanks to all for your input and suggestions; it is appreciated... 😎

Greetings!

I sounds like a part of your system; that deals with printing may have become corrupted.
You can find out by opening the Command Prompt as an Administrator and typing: sfc /scannow at the flashing cursor and press the enter key. This will scan your system for corruption.

4016698_en_3

Edited by HyReZ

• 2 months later...

hello hyrez... yes, tried that but no luck or file corruption, which is good on that part... it's just a very strange anomaly i live with... this error occurs in one other program so when i need to print something from my paintnet program i just insert the image into a word document (or pdf) and print it out... guess i'm not up to diving deeper into the issue to try to figure out what the  issue is... even the experts at microsoft can't figure this one out... very strange... 

yes to both... latest window os (and always up to date; i leave my computer on so updates can take place during the wee hours of the night; yes, my anti-virus programs guard the gates well) and just a few days ago updated paint.net; it's always updated when the program indicates an update is available... i usually have it update upon closing or sometimes before i start a project... (i have been using paint.net for years since i first discovered it many many moons ago and it has improved tremendously with age; especially when it comes to updating it; can't say the same for their website... i also use affinity designer by serif but not as much as i use paint.net... 😀)

appreciate the reply but to date no one has really provided a solution to this issue... kind of difficult to believe i'm the only one having this printing issue... if i am, then it's good to know i belong to a very rare and unique club... 😉

55 minutes ago, ScootCoot said:

appreciate the reply but to date no one has really provided a solution to this issue...

2 solutions have been presented in this thread: use the printing plugin and fix your windows—both of which you dismissed. I’m not sure we can do anything to help you at this point as the error lies within your installation of windows. It is NOT a Paint.NET problem. 

thanks for the reply, boltbait... my windows installation is not the problem and i followed the '2 solutions' suggested with no success; the error still occurs; guess i should have worded it: 'already tried the two solutions suggested'...

when the error message opens (more than one at a time; see my first message about this) all it indicates is: 'Print Pictures Error / Your pictures can't be printed because this error occurred' it would be nice to know what error it is referring to... 

as noted in one of my messages, i did the right click > print 'solution' as suggested on an image outside of paint.net and still got the error... so, yes, that could indicate an error with the windows os... a corrupt file...? could be, but not being a computer expert i wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for that corrupt file that is causing the error to occur...

and microsoft is no help because, unless you have a big pile of cash, they are not willing to work with you to find the problem... twice, when i had other windows issues, their so called tech support, which is outsourced to the philippines and india, decided my windows os should be reinstalled; both times they screwed up my system with other issues which took some time to fix... who knows, maybe that is the source of the error messages...? reinstalling windows causes more problems than it solves... 

if you have suggestions as to where i might possibly find that corrupt file in my windows installation that is causing this issue, feel free to provide that info...

didn't mean to offend you or anyone else in this message thread with the message you replied to...  

30 minutes ago, ScootCoot said:

i did the right click > print 'solution' as suggested on an image outside of paint.net and still got the error... so, yes, that could indicate an error with the windows os...

Yes, that's what it indicates.  That's why we had you try that... It takes Paint.NET out of the loop and shows that the error is within your OS.

31 minutes ago, ScootCoot said:

but not being a computer expert i wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for that corrupt file that is causing the error to occur...

Well, neither are we.  That's why we suggested a generic "sfc /scannow" in a DOS window... it checks for damaged windows files.

32 minutes ago, ScootCoot said:

microsoft is no help

You should be trying to get help from your printer manufacturer.  There may be some incompatibility between their printer driver and the specific windows version you're running.  It really is up to them to get you working again.  I would suggest going to your printer's web site and downloading the most recent drivers from there and see if that helps.

Good luck.

It may help to Run the DISM ( Deployment Image Servicing and Management ) and use with the RestoreHealth option.

Open Start.

Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.

Type the following command and press Enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(It will take a while for this process to complete! 
Windows will access remote servers to download and update system files)
dism-restorehealth-windows-10_.jpg?itok=

Edited by HyReZ
to add more nfo