Is there a centering Ruler for Paint.net?

hi all, is there some type of ruler or tool that can show you the center of your canvas? like a horizontal and vertical line? I know there is the

ruler but that only shows measurements on the outer edge. thanks so much in advance. 

I attached an image example of what im looking for in a ruler. 

paint_ruler.JPG

Sorry I have to rant for a quick moment. Why does paint.net keep logging me off every 30 minutes and then my password does not work? then i reset my password to the same password I already had???? then I am able to get back in with the same password that I reset each time? what the!!!??? sorry , very frustrating... 

Anyway, Ive been trying to download the plugin from Remake, once I download and extract it all I end up with is are 2 files, a centerlines.dll, and a Install_centerlines.bat?? 

any help, much appreciated... 

I didn't even remember the tools I had that can do this and more. This thread has bought it to my attention so now I might remember to use them. Thanks for that.

Most of the time I've drawn composition allignment aids manually in a separate top layer and or using one of the other grid plugins often in different layers, adjusting the vertical/horizontal spacing as required.

But the plugin I already actually have, actually designed for the purpose, and will try to remember to use from now on for such basic allignement tasks is the one mentioned by welshblue: CompoGrids.dll which came as part of Red Ochre's plugin in pack. It also helps in remembering where it is by being installed in the Effects > Composition sub-menu, arguably the most obvious place for such tools.   

That it is installed in Effects > Render is the only criticism I'd aim at the xod's Guidelines.dll, mentioned by others here too. It is an even  more sophisticated alignment tool, particularly as it allows you to move X and Y positioning separately off centre if required.

But there are good reasons for having both those mentioned or just Remake's centerlines.dll if all that is wanted is the simplest solution.

Edited by IHaveNoName
  • Like 1

IHaveNoName.png

And remember if you start a New image the background will, by default, be the secondary colour ie. opaque white. That means if you use the centerline.dll at that point the alignment lines will actually have an opaque white background and so won't be much use that way.

As ReMake recommends always use the alignment tools in a new layer where the default background is 100% transparent, ideally place it as the top layer of your stack. Then you know where that layer is and can easily find, disable or delete it before saving or flattening. 

IHaveNoName.png

On 2/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, HyReZ said:

There use to be a plugin from June 14th, 2008 called "Centerlines.dll", but I can find no trace of it today. I have it in my Effects/Render for many years now.

I don't believe that plugin was ever officially released.

I believe it is something I had Curtis write for me to publish on my tutorial pages, here:

https://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/help/uielements.php#DoubleVector

Hope this helps.

Perhaps you got it from BoltBait's website or perhaps it was an undocumented incluson in Curtis's plugin pack (released in January 2008 - so the timing is about right).

Either way - it's never been officially released. That's why it doesn't show up in the Plugin Index.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:14 AM, HyReZ said:

I've had the centerlines.dll in my plugins since June 14th of 2008. I got it from some where!?

@HyReZ is right. The paint-net.ru website has a collection of best_effects.rar that contains the Centerlines 2.dll file (published in 2008). I also found the Centerline.dll file in my archives which is a full copy of the Centerlines 2.dll file or Vice versa.
Both of these files are unofficial and came, in my opinion, from MegaloPack. In fairness it should be said that both effects are quite workable and do not cause problems with virus protection.

Edited by ReMake
Clarification of information

@ReMake

Great detective work!

My file downloads records show that I downloaded the Paint.NET.3.30.zip update on April 13, 2008, but I do not have a download record of the Effects-MegaloPack.Paint.NET.v20.exe until November 29, 2011 and it does contain the Centerlines.dll, but that would give it a November 29, 2011 install date. The mystery continues and will look further later!

Note:
I ran a Microsoft Defender scan on the Effects-MegaloPack.Paint.NET.v20.exe today, and it did not indicate a problem.
So the issue is that it was an illegal distribution of 749 plugins.

Edited by HyReZ
to add more nfo

Effects-MegaloPack.Paint.NET.v18 contains Centerlines.dll (from 14.06.2008).

3 hours ago, HyReZ said:

So the issue is that it was an illegal distribution of 749 plugins.

Yes, plugins must be distributed with the permission of the authors.  I always got permission from the plugin authors in advance before publishing russian version of their plugins on the paint-net.ru site.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to seem Intrusive, but...

@Enormator is the author of plugins Centerlines.dll and Centerlines 2.dll (and some others).

On 2/7/2019 at 5:14 AM, HyReZ said:

I got it from some where!?

@HyReZ, you got this plugin through a link from a topic Enormators Effects when the link was available.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:34 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Either way - it's never been officially released. That's why it doesn't show up in the Plugin Index.

Yes, the files Centerlines.dll and Centerlines 2.dll on the website getpaint.net officially were not published, but a saved copy of a topic tells that the files was available on another site.