Paint.net Won't Re-install After HDD Failure

I run Windows 10 and my original HDD failed. I had Paint.NET installed on this hard drive, and when I attempted to reinstall it on the new hard drive it returned the error "fatal error" and would not re-install. I noticed that the icon for the Paint.NET program is still in my Programs list, despite none of the files for the program existing on my computer anymore, and I attempted to uninstall it from the Control Panel. I was also unable to do this. How can I fix this so I can re-install Paint.NET? Should I keep it on my C: drive in the future?

It sound like you need to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the leftover data from the previous Paint.NET installation.

The following instructions are quoted from https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/?do=findComment&comment=2795

John, I finally found the utility I was looking for: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html

It's called the Windows Installer CleanUp utility. What you want to do is install it, and then run the program from the Start menu. Select the item in the list that says "(All Users) Paint.NET ..." (the ... will be whatever version you're trying to, erm, eradicate). BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS UTILITY -- make sure to only select Paint.NET!. Once you have selected it, click Remove. Once finished with the utility, manually delete the directory that Paint.NET was installed to.

Next, you should be able to install the new version of Paint.NET just fine.

As for an explanation ... installation and setup is a rather complicated process for any application that requires more than just "xcopy deployment." Windows Installer (MSI files) is a technology that is used to standardize the way in which this stuff is done. Sometimes system settings or configuration gets changed and the MSI needs to ensure that things are in a state that it is comfortable with. This requires access to the original installation files.

Now, for v2.5, I have implemented a system that always keeps a copy of the original installation files (you'll see those "Staging" files with the random numbers on them). This should eliminate this type of problem going forward, but as you can see it can still be a problem for people upgrading from older versions.

Anyway tell me if that utility works for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait