Set Paint.Net as default editor for image files

Maybe I'm an advanced user, but I prefer to have two different applications to view and to edit an image, because I find really comfortable to view images in Windows Photo Viewer, because many reasons, smaller application, faster loading, automatically switching to the next image in the same folder, images are read only (no unintentional edits) and a few more. When I want to edit an image, I use the context menu and choose the "Edit" option, so I don't have to start Paint.Net and open the file or drag and drop the file in the UI.

Now, while it is possible in Windows to change the default application to open a file type, there isn't a way to change the default editor of a file type. Effectively I have to use an external application (Default Program Editor) to set Paint.Net as default editor for the image files. Now it seems something that you have to do it only once, but in the reality, for some unknown reasons it happens around once in a year that these settings are reset to some default values, maybe when Windows install a major version?

Anyway, I have always estimated notepad++, which has a section in the settings to set it as default application for many file extensions, at the end it is just a little change in the registry. I always wondered why Paint.Net doesn't have a similar option in the application settings, it would be a nice user-friendly feature. If I'm not wrong in Windows the default editor for image files is MS Paint, and Paint.Net was born as replacement of MS Paint, why don't take this step also in the Windows registry?

Edited by spamme

I always wondered why Paint.Net doesn't have a similar option in the application settings

Because it's built-in to Windows. You can change the default Photo Viewer, and also see "Choose default apps by _____" at the bottom.

image.png

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

7 hours ago, HyReZ said:

In Windows you can only change the default application to open a certain type of file, what I'm talking about is the application to edit it, if you right click on any file you get a context menu with a list of options, and there is also the "edit" option. You can't change the defined application in the "edit" option within Windows.

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Because it's built-in to Windows. You can change the default Photo Viewer, and also see "Choose default apps by _____" at the bottom.

You can only change the default application that is used to open it when you double click the file icon, this isn't the same application used when you choose the "Edit" option in the context menu.

Strange because I've never really thought about this, I too prefer to open image files using the Windows 7 built in Photo Viewer despite the fact that MS decided to remove animated GIF support from it. WinXP Windows Photo Viewer does support GIF animations so what MS were thinking removing it who knows?

My research turned up this old thread here:-

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/20390-default-editor/

which has a solution approved by RIck B via a re-install or update of PDN and check (ticked by default) the install option to use PDN as default editor for JPG, PNG, BMP and TGA.

screenshot.3.png.600fb8a1a91a606c1dcd3ac1172cff02.png

Short of editing the registry there doesn't appear to be any other way of doing the same thing via Windows, PDN or even third party default program editors. Most of the latter I've tried concentrate on changing default "Open" programs for specific file extension types but not "Edit".

However that one above ^ does work. It is a useful little program I've used many times Default Programs Editor (Google and it is easily found). As you can see it has a specific option for changing context menu associations but you do have to go through every image file type to set or re-set the default  "Edit" menu option.

The question spamme is asking is surely not how to do it but why the settings revert to default occasionally? Is it Windows updates messing up the defaults or PDN. My money is on Windows because the default PDN install has the use as editor for JPG, PNG, BMP and TGA options ticked.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

I also consider myself an advanced user, but I have never been in such a time crunch that I could not right click on an icon, select 'open with' and scroll to the needed app to open my image. I know that you have to jump thru a small hoop in order to have your alternative app available the first time, but it is not a great inconvenience since that are only few graphics apps that I use for image editing.

Edited by HyReZ

5 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

My research turned up this old thread here:-

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/20390-default-editor/

which has a solution approved by RIck B via a re-install or update of PDN and check (ticked by default) the install option to use PDN as default editor for JPG, PNG and BMP.

This is interesting, Paint.Net updates automatically periodically, but I can't remember these settings in the installer, anyway I have to admit that I don't read it anymore, I just click "next", "next" and "finish". Are these options available in the standard installation or in the custom installation? Is there a custom installation?

5 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

Is it Windows updates messing up the defaults or PDN. My money is on Windows because the default PDN install has the use as editor for JPG, PNG and BMP option ticked.

It is also my opinion, the issue is that PDN and Windows don't update at the same time, so when Windows reset these entries in the registry, either I have to wait for an update of PDN, although I don't remember these options in the installer, or I have to reset these values in the registry with the help of the Default Program Editor.

5 hours ago, HyReZ said:

I also consider myself an advanced user, but I have never been in such a time crunch that I could not right click on an icon, select 'open with' and scroll to the needed app to open my image. I know that you have to jump thru a small hoop in order to have your alternative app available the first time, but it is not a great inconvenience since that are only few graphics apps that I use for image editing.

Well, we are all different, because I use only one application to edit images, I don't want to search it every time, above all when Windows has already the option to set one application as the default editor. I'm not try to reinvent the wheel, the wheel is already here and I'm asking why sometimes it stops working.

I like to use the bicycle and I prefer to use the bicycle, if you like to walk and prefer to walk it's also fine, but don't expect that everybody like to do what you like, when somebody ask, why the bicycle doesn't work, it's not very useful replying with "you can walk, because I walk".

@spamme

Open With vs Edit 

( you have the open the image to edit it)

I use a variety of editors because they have different features
so 'Open With' is my usual choice
You use one editor, so you want it to appear under Edit
In either case it takes milliseconds to select from a right click
Your analogy is not applicable here.

You also said, "You can't change the defined application in the "edit" option within Windows."

Try this to change the default editor:
https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-easily-change-windows-10-default-photo-editor

Edited by HyReZ

That linked article simply recommends using the Default Program Editor both spamme  and I described using in earlier posts.

The article is from 2016 and describes it as a 'new' way to change the default programs but the Default Programs Editor portable program (app) has been available since 2009 long before Win10 even existed. However the info there is still good and well presented.

The question still not satisfactorily resolved is what is occasionally changing spamme's "Edit" option association?

I've not had this myself and like HyReZ I am not bothered about opening a picture in Windows Picture Viewer and then clicking on the context menu options to Open With  PDN or one of the other listed graphic programs I have. I prefer doing it that TBH but I can understand those wanting to use the "Edit" option on the image file to open it in the editor direct.

IHaveNoName.png

@IHaveNoName

You have it wrong.

I do not use the Windows Picture Viewer

and spamme desires a specific default editor.

I right click on the image icon and select the 'Open with' option of the context menu.

Doing this will open a list of suggested apps for opening your file.
If the app that you need does not appear in the list, it can be added with

an option that allows you 'Choose another app' by providing a path where the executable resides and selecting it.
The next time you use the 'Open with' context menu, you preferred app will appear in the list. 
(Un-check the Box that will make your new selection a default; it should be added as an option!)

981618116_OpenWith.jpg.8a68681e92469950adfcb1d555a854c7.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

@HyReZ, I don't want to be rude but you aren't saying anything new, any Windows user knows about the "open with" feature and the "choose another app" option, this isn't any advanced feature. As well as any Windows user knows how to change the default application in the settings. You are just telling that water is wet, many thanks, I'm quite sure that everybody here knows that water is wet.

This topic was about an advanced feature of Windows, which allows to set a default application as editor of a file type, something that you didn't know, as well as you didn't know that this feature can't be configured in the Windows settings. To change this setting either you know how to add this information in the Windows registry or you need an external application to do it, like the Default Program Editor, of which you didn't know.

You know, I find really funny that you post a link for a tutorial on how to use the Default Program Editor, when already in my first post I said that I'm using that application and a few posts later I posted also a screen shot of the application. Seriously, do you read the posts? Or you are just trolling the forum?

I think some ones wants to rant rather follow the links provided.

If the Advanced User is aware of all of the nfo provide in the links, why are we here trying to help?

Maybe water isn't the only thing that is all wet!

Right click on *.jpg , 'Open with' whatever. Done!
Now you can edit images.

(No one has time to tweak the registry, but there are a few tutorials out there to help you do it.)

Done here! Back to graphics.

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1