Simply tabbing in dialogs causes unnecessary image modifications

stan

Open the attached PNG image (not required, any image should do I suppose), then go to Image > Resize and just start tabbing through the fields to see the magic happen!

report_button.gif.cef3399e19c14f2ea1230d56aaafead6.gif

As you can see in the animation above, just tabbing through the fields causes the image's width, height, recommended resize method and projected new size to change (twice!), and Shift+tabbing back causes them to revert to their original values. I suspect it could be due to some sort of internal rounding error, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it's a bug and should be dealt with. Just tabbing and pressing OK without explicitly modifying any values shouldn't cause the image to be resized unnecessarily.

Please also check other dialogs for similar anomalous behaviour.

If it matters, this was observed in 4.1.5 (classic install) on Win10 x64 v1809 (17763.253).

report_button.png

Edited by stan

21 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

It just looks like some rounding is happening

As I suspected (floating-point arithmetic), but clearly it should be dealt with since it can result in unwarranted image modification. Hopefully Rick will take care of it in the next point release.

I don't know if this dialog will ever be truly 100% bug free; seems like there's always a new report of some small issue :) I've filed a bug over on GitHub, but I don't yet know when I'll be able to address this.

Thanks for the fantastic GIF showing the error!

(and this probably affects File->New and Image->Canvas Size as well, since all 3 of the dialogs use the same core code but with different layouts)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 1/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, Rick Brewster said:

I don't know if this dialog will ever be truly 100% bug free; seems like there's always a new report of some small issue :) I've filed a bug over on GitHub, but I don't yet know when I'll be able to address this.

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I know you've got lots on your plate, but do hope all the affected dialogs are fixed some day at least (and not "some day" = "effectively never" as seen with bug reports for many programs).

BTW where is Paint.NET on GitHub? Should we be opening issues/filing bugs directly there instead of here in the forum?

Edited by stan

2 minutes ago, stan said:

BTW where is Paint.NET on GitHub? Should we be opening issues/filing bugs directly there instead of here in the forum?

Paint.NET is in a private repository. So, the best place to file bugs is right here on the forum.