Question about editing and saving an image, and retrieving it without the background.

I want to be able to reuse an edited image by layering it on top of different backgrounds. I've gotten pretty good at shaving off the fuzzies and smoothing out the edges on an image after removing the original background using the Magic Wand and Eraser tools. I've learned that I can save an image, without that background, by saving it as a PDN. I can then retrieve it in the same state. I've also learned that I can remove a background after editing an image by disabling same. But how do I save just the image that I've edited (for utilities sake) on a solid color background after I've disabled it? I've tried saving the image, but when I retrieve it, I've got the background and no image?? I just feel there must be a way to do this.

I hope I'm making sense here. I understand what I'm trying to say, but the reader may not. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, mi.fr.martin@gmail.com said:

I've also learned that I can remove a background after editing an image by disabling same. But how do I save just the image that I've edited (for utilities sake) on a solid color background after I've disabled it?

What exactly are you disabling?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

toe-head2001: In order for me to "edit" the image (shaving the fuzzy edges), I need to give it a background for contrast. After I've done with editing, I deselect the background and am left with only the edited image. However, when I save that image and then retrieve it, the background is what I'm seeing, not the image.

You really only need to use .PDN if you want to keep Layers and/or Layer Information. Otherwise you can just use .PNG.

This may be of some use to you:

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

toe_head2001: Thanks so much for directing me to that link; lot of good information there. So, if I repeat my original steps to save an edited layer without the background and be able to retrieve same, I need to save as PNG file? I recall now that thru all the times I tried to get the results I wanted, there was one time that I was able to retrieve an edited image without the background...but I couldn't remember how I did it. Thanks for the help.