How to Install Plugins ×

G'MIC (03-12-2024)

null54

@dipstick I'm glad you DID post that image. It's incredibly cool and helps people realize what can be created.The image looks like something professionally created in a gaming magazine or from a gaming website. It's impressive. Knowing you made that with PDN, is also showing how impressive PDN is, as well as the skills of you, the artist. 

8 minutes ago, ScrapbookWithPDN said:

@null54It's so appreciated. I still get confused about the features of "Input/Output". I'm also a bit confused about when using an effect and it says "use below a top layer"-@null54

For some reason, I can't remove the tags on quote. Well ok.

That being said, those things are meant for other programs that can use G'MIC.

• Like 1

G'MIC Filter Developer

On another note, is there a thread, forum, or website that talks about the plugin itself?  I'd like to start a thread for it, wherever that would be, for PDN users.

@dipstickand thank you for adding a link to that photography website that showed examples of the plugin effect and more talk of it. That helped me. I'm so not techie, so, every little bit helps.

35 minutes ago, ScrapbookWithPDN said:

On another note, is there a thread, forum, or website that talks about the plugin itself?  I'd like to start a thread for it, wherever that would be, for PDN users.

@dipstickand thank you for adding a link to that photography website that showed examples of the plugin effect and more talk of it. That helped me. I'm so not techie, so, every little bit helps.

Discuss.pixls.us is where G'MIC discussion goes on. You can also submit filters there. I also have made a tutorial on this forum. It's kinda easy to make filters though painful at times.

Edited by Reptillian
  • Like 1

G'MIC Filter Developer

Hi @null54 This looks amazing :star:

I have only just caught up with things on the forum (had a visitor for a month) and I have added the .dll into the paint.net Effects folder, but when I try to use it - I get this message:

gmic-error.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi @Pixey

Within the downloaded zip file you will see a folder called "gmic".

This folder needs to be extracted to the effects folder as well as the DLL. Sounds like you may have missed it.

Only the DLL file needs to be in the effects folder.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Hi @dipstick  

I've been working on this project for several days and many hours. I just can't figure out how to bring two images together to create a third image from the other two. I tried all the ways I found, but unfortunately it didn't work.
 I have edited simple pictures with Stylize and I think they are quite good, but I did not manage to merge the two pictures into one. Only frustration remained :-))))). I will probably write to the adjuster of this technique in G'mic, he is probably in AT at home. Maybe he can help?

Your picture is a good start and I would love it if I could already produce such a work. 

Hi @Pixey,

Some of the filters in paint.net do not work or do not work correctly. I downloaded Krita and added the g'mic to it. Now I can use the filters - which cut the picture in Paint.net - and produce this picture correctly in Krita. This is really fun.

Love greetings from Hamburg

1 hour ago, lifeday said:

Some of the filters in paint.net do not work or do not work correctly.

The G'MIC filters that require top and bottom layers can be used in Paint.NET by copying the bottom layer onto the clipboard, the currently selected layer will be used as the top layer.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

For some reason, this latest version of the plugin won't see the two layers needed for this effect. I believe the last version did however. Unfortunately I deleted it when I upgraded to the current version. I made a few renders with it in PDN and remember that both images needed to be the same resolution. It was very slow to render also, about 10 times slower than in Linux running Gimp.

I probably shouldn't have brought it up, because it's still a bit experimental at the moment.

69unju0.gif

28 minutes ago, null54 said:

The G'MIC filters that require top and bottom layers can be used in Paint.NET by copying the bottom layer onto the clipboard, the currently selected layer will be used as the top layer.

Well what do you know, that works perfectly. I'm currently rendering an outcome. Might be a while though.....

I got tired of waiting and had to abort. This is how it should look while rendering.

nSteU1g.jpg

Edited by dipstick

69unju0.gif

1 hour ago, dipstick said:

It was very slow to render also, about 10 times slower than in Linux running Gimp.

Interesting, does the G'MIC plugin for GIMP on Windows have the same issue?

I wonder if G'MIC is using more multi-threading in the Linux version than on Windows.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

7 hours ago, null54 said:

Interesting, does the G'MIC plugin for GIMP on Windows have the same issue?

I wonder if G'MIC is using more multi-threading in the Linux version than on Windows.

The plugin is very slow in Windows compared to Linux. The developer knows about it, but has no Idea why it's so much faster in Linux. The code is 99% the same. Here's a quote from David_Tschumperle:

That’s not what he said. He just said G’MIC on Linux was 10x faster than on Windows, which is indeed something I already noticed. But, believe me, I have absolutely no idea why it works faster on Linux.
The code is 99% the same, the compiler is the same (g++), the optimization flags are the same.

Maybe we could ask people able to build their own binaries of G’MIC on Windows if they could try running the Stylize filter on the same kind of images and see if their versions are faster ? @samj, @Carmelo_DrRaw ?

This speed difference has always been a mystery for me, it even affects the small graphical demos where the fps are around 7-8 while it’s around 50 on my Linux.

The example above took about 20 min. to render in Windows. It took just a few seconds to render in Linux.

YtK53y1.jpg

69unju0.gif

Hi @HyReZ

Today for the first time - I set a link via Postimage. I hope it works fine.
Thanks for your answer. I hope you might have an idea :-))))))) Its a direct link to the picture (I hope :-)))))

Link 1st picture

auto-orange-384x266.png

Lin 2

auto-orange-abstractes-bild.png

Hi @null54,

great, then you could take Stilize out to Paint.net. I've never copied pictures to the clipboard before. Maybe I will find the way :-))))))) It's always a ray of hope. 
When is the latest version of the filter Stilize from? I'm not sure if I downloaded it.

By not all filters in Paint, I meant those that do not display the images correctly in terms of size and therefore no whole image is displayed, or filters that are not displayed at all. That's why I downloaded Krita, because most of the filters that are not displayed at Paint.net work there. 
In relation to the amount of filters offered in Paint.net there are not very many who don't want to work:-)))))))))

@lifeday your images are not working.  Here is an example of which code you need for:

a)  A Thumbnail

b)  Larger image

post-img-url-s.png         Click for larger image

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you @null54 for this amazing Plugin :star: It's going to be fun trying everything out.

Anguish.png       using Anguish

brushify.png         using Brushify

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

@lifeday

I tried to use G'MIC's Artistic/Styles filter to merge two of my images, but even after selecting 'Active layer and Below' at the Input Layers box, I could to get my second layer to load. I tried various selections and gave up after a half our.

BTW: I was able to view and copy your images from both of your submissions.

Edited by HyReZ

1 hour ago, HyReZ said:

I tried to use G'MIC's Artistic/Styles filter to merge two of my images, but even after selecting 'Active layer and Below' at the Input Layers box, I could to get my second layer to load. I tried various selections and gave up after a half our.

The second layer must be the same size as the first layer, using a selection will not work.

PdnSig.png

Hi @HyReZ,
well, I am also inclined to throw in the towel and give it up, but my ambition still stands in my way, because there seem to be ways how it works to somehow process two pictures and project them onto a third picture. I think I'll wait until I find a tutorial sometime and then I'll work on it.
Thanks for your help. Have a nice evening.