null54

G'MIC (01-15-2020)

19 minutes ago, Elvis Hbpbgrtnk said:

It not worked. I copy both dll and full folder into effects and restart PDN. Same thing and it stuck at old version. Also there was no prompt.

Do you have a screenshot of your Effects folder?

3 minutes ago, Elvis Hbpbgrtnk said:

Maybe you send message just as I edit with fix.

OMG it having a millyin things in it! How long it take to make all that? Is you 1000 years old?

He didn't make those filters, he just made g'mic accessible. Check the Testing Section, those are the vast majority of filter creators, and including myself. I made ~30 filters myself.

Edited by Reptillian

Is this plugin compatible with Pdn 4.1.6?

I run Pdn on a stick. It is not installed in the computer.

Exception details:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.AppModel.IClipboardService' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Core, Version=4.106.7016.38074, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

at GmicEffectPlugin.GmicConfigDialog.GmicThread()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Edited by NSD
Added exception details.

Hey guys, can you help? I need to cleanup this book page photo and convert it to B/W with background removed and clean crisp text, before converting to a pdf or djvu format. I do know photo quality is not very good. I'm new to G'MIC, and its hard to figure out, what filter sequence can do it, and with what values for each filter. I tried a few, but the resulting pic either missing font pieces, or very weak hardly readable.

Can you suggest the filter sequence and values? Or may be refer to a forum specialized in text documents restoration pls. I don't want to split the page into 2, since I've several page photos, and need just a learning example. :)

@sambul81

In my opinion a more useful solution is to use OCR.
I use the OCR feature of OneNote (which is free in Windows) to 'read' the text from your image onto the Windows  Clipboard

where I was able to paste it into Notepad ( or any other text editor ).

A link to the screen capture example of the process:

http://apmauldin.com/Image_Storage/OCR_with_OneNote.jpg

Also here is a link to the OCR captured text:
http://apmauldin.com/Image_Storage/Criminal_Code.txt

Edited by HyReZ

1 hour ago, Reptillian said:

Did you try afre_cleantext? You need to refresh, then search clean.

Thanks for pointing to this plugin. I just tried it, and its quite a challenge to find suitable combination of 4 params. I got some results, not necessarily ideal. But when saved to a file, it shows 8-bit color, when the original scan was 24-bit. Is it part of the conversion by this filter? if not, how I can change it to original 24-bit when saving to TIFF? Because I need to straighten the text lines cleanly next. Do you know any package or filter to straighten the text lines?

How can I do it then as a package processing for several pages, once the right settings are found? 

Edited by sambul81

35 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

@sambul81

In my opinion a more useful solution is to use OCR.

Not sure what you mean. Suppose I OCR the text. It would be just another layer to easily search it after fixing errors. But it requires a lot of work if thinking about say 200 pages. And the book is easy to read anyway because of structural formatting. OCR might be a possible extra step, but not my main goal for a quick project like this.

You original query did not mention a whole volume of text!

Anyway the solution that I recommend, included the corrected text in format that does not require straightening rows and fumbling with plugins.

Just dump it in a text editor. You can even change the fonts and point sizes.
The G'MIC solution is not the best solution, but it may be the solution that you have conceived yourself that you need.

31 minutes ago, sambul81 said:

Thanks for pointing to this plugin. I just tried it, and its quite a challenge to find suitable combination of 4 params. I got some results, not necessarily ideal. But when saved to a file, it shows 8-bit color, when the original scan was 24-bit. Is it part of the conversion by this filter? if not, how I can change it to original 24-bit when saving to TIFF? Because I need to straighten the text lines cleanly next. Do you know any package or filter to straighten the text lines?

How can I do it then as a package processing for several pages, once the right settings are found? 

8-bit as in 255 colors? That's not done by G'MIC, but by saving. You can do it on several page by using GIMP or Krita and apply to all layers and/or you can do it through cli, and in that case PM me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

8-bit as in 255 colors? That's not done by G'MIC, but by saving.

Yes. I Saved To the original Jpeg file after editing into TIFF. There seems to be no any Save To options, such as changing color depth etc. So how I can preserve the original image color depth when saving to TIFF? Also, is it possible to find the original image color depth via Paint.net GUI? I can easily get any image info in Irfan View, but can't find that menu option in Paint.net.

Also, I can't find Reset Image or Undo Changes button in G'MIC window after Apply is pressed to see how changes look on the entire image, and corresponding Paint.net controls aren't accessible until G'MIC window is closed. So every time I want to undo changes to the image and try again, I have to close the plugin window, which makes it quite cumbersome to work with it. May be some keyboard shortcuts are available for Undo & Reset image without closing the plugin?

Edited by sambul81