How Do I Make "Gravitational" Lensing Around Shapes

C.L.

I'm wanting to make a realistic invisibility cloak effect. Instead of it being a transparent silhouette, I want to make it so that there's a gravitational lensing effect that actually looks like light is being bent around an object, but I don't know how to do it around a shape other than a circle. I need to do it around a person. Will someone tell me how, show me a plugin that does, or make a plugin for it?

Edited by C.L.

1 hour ago, C.L. said:

I want to make a realistic invisibility cloak effect.

A realistic invisibility cloak? What do they look like? I didn't even know they're real! Do you have an example photo?

^^ what a wisenheimer I am :lol:

On the other hand, I've seen some artistic renderings of what an invisibility cloak might look like. For example, in those Halo games:

Invisibility.jpg

Is that similar to what you want to achieve?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

It's possible to achieve something like the predator invisibility mode with TR's Displacement Map 3D. If the results below look acceptable to you, I can tell you how I did it if you can't figure out how to use TR's plugin (there are instructional videos throughout the plugin's thread).

invisible-predator-misty-forest.jpg  invisible-predator-misty-forest-2.jpg  invisible-predators-sunny-forest.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

A realistic invisibility cloak? What do they look like? I didn't even know they're real! Do you have an example photo?

^^ what a wisenheimer I am :lol:

On the other hand, I've seen some artistic renderings of what an invisibility cloak might look like. For example, in those Halo games:

Invisibility.jpg

Is that similar to what you want to achieve?

10 hours ago, Maximilian said:

It's possible to achieve something like the predator invisibility mode with TR's Displacement Map 3D. If the results below look acceptable to you, I can tell you how I did it if you can't figure out how to use TR's plugin (there are instructional videos throughout the plugin's thread).

invisible-predator-misty-forest.jpg  invisible-predator-misty-forest-2.jpg  invisible-predators-sunny-forest.jpg

The pictures that both of you showed are what I call transparent silhouettes. What I mean by "gravitational" lensing is that the light bends around it in the same fashion it does around a black hole. An example of this "realistic" cloak effect would be where a ball starts showing gravitational lensing and appears to shrink as light is bending around it.

Here's a picture of gravitational lensing around a black hole:

Black_hole_lensing_web.gif&f=1

19 hours ago, C.L. said:

Instead of it being a transparent silhouette, I want to make it so that there's a gravitational lensing effect that actually looks like light is being bent around an object

I would believe a "realistic" cloaking effect would look like it's shrinking in a distorted way with gravtiational lensing around it.

Edited by C.L.

Hmm, I see. I haven't tried this before, so I'll have a look at it. Something might come up (I won't promise anything though, just in case)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

If you're talking just around circles then you can play with the Polar Inversion plugin .  It can do interesting things with spheres.

gravitation.png

Using Radial Blur after Polar Inversion

gravitation-2.png

Gravitational lensing actually warps the light of stars around a black hole, unlike the picture you made.

If you read the original post, I want to do this around a different shape (the shape of a person). I am making a meme and I will show it off here when this is solved.

Edited by C.L.

The closest thing I could find is SquirkleWarp, which is limited to circles, diamonds, and squares. What I want is a plugin that allows you to select any shape and make a warping effect around it and be able to set the effect radius and refraction level. I should post a plugin request. Where do I do that?

turn-around2.jpg

The woman in gray is showing the distortion on the right hand side of her head.

This effect is reasonably subtle in a static image.

turn-around3.jpg

Source layers look like this...

turn-around-source.jpg

On 12/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

turn-around2.jpg

The woman in gray is showing the distortion on the right hand side of her head.

This effect is reasonably subtle in a static image.

turn-around3.jpg

Source layers look like this...

turn-around-source.jpg

How do you make a source layer? Or can it automatically make one from a highlighted selection? Sorry, I haven't been active on using paint.net recently. If it doesn't make a source layer for ClipWarp from a selected shape, then that would be my suggestion for your plugin.

Edited by C.L.

I used an outline (silhouette) of the object.  Outline the object with black then apply a couple of gray drop shadows (one external one internal). Blur the combined result before running ClipWarp.