Rotate Image a Few Degrees

6 hours ago, Diteit said:

After selecting whole or part of image, use Move Selected Pixels tool (M) and move cursor upper the selection line so you see kindova curved two-side arrow, then rotate as you need with LeftMouseButton

0.jpg

Right mouse button also works with the Move Tool ;)

• Like 1

I think the what Diteit and Ego Eram Reputo said is much the simpler solution, particularly for quick small amounts of image rotation.

For a long time I was using the Layers > Rotate for this sort of task not realising how much less hassle it is to use the built in Selection > Move Selected Pixels rotate option. You can also use it to rotate the chosen selected area itself with the Move Selection tool.

You have a 360 degree circle of movement around the image/selected area and if you hold down either mouse button you can use the keyboard directional keys to rotate it a few degrees at a time too.

IHaveNoName.png

Useful information but when I tried ^ that at first it didn't work as I expected. I'd made the mistake of holding down the mouse button on the rotate option and tapping Shift expecting the image to rotate 15 degrees each time.

BTW if you do that 5 times in a row Windows pops up a message asking if you want to turn on 'Hot Keys'. Again useful information, although a bit of a weird way to want to enable a Windows option..

Anyway, the 'trick' is, as Joshua Lamusga stated, holding Shift and the mouse button on the image rotate option and then using the latter to drag the selection to rotate it in 15 degree increments.

IHaveNoName.png

^ It is remembering them all that is the trouble.

That's one of the 'problems' I found from early on when using PDN previously only having used Windows limited and comparatively awkward built in Paint application. With all the PDN tools available it is not just not knowing how to use many of them in the first place but not remembering how best to apply them. That is particularly true when you're not using PDN every day.

I tend to try to work out a 'solution' or a method to apply a particular effect I want and, if it looks good, I do remember that but then I stick with it even though there may be a simpler or easier way of doing the same thing if I'd only asked or searched here more thoroughly myself.

Asking here, as the OP has done, is often actually the quickest route to an image problem solution. But you do still have to remember it.   

Edited by IHaveNoName
typo

IHaveNoName.png

• 1 year later...

I used Rectangle Select to select the whole image, clicked on Move Selected Pixels and when I put the cursor above the image, it was easy to rotate it, clicking the left mouse button and twisting the mouse. I tried Lasso select, but I can never do that, my hand wobbles too much! Thank you Diteit