Can't install paint.net on a new Win 10 machine

alanchippy

Hi all

Been trying to install paint.net 4.1.3 (64 bit) onto a new clean Win 10 laptop. I am installing using a download from the official site and unfortunately refuses to install. I get the following error message.

"Error opening install log file. Verify the specified log file location exists and you can write to it"

Any further information or work round would be deeply appreciated

Now downloaded 4.1.4 and same problem

Edited by alanchippy
Added comment update

Hi @alanchippy and Welcome to the forum :)

Until one of the experts on this type of problem log on and help you, I did find this information:

"This can occur if Windows Installer Logging is enabled, but the Windows Installer engine cannot properly write the uninstallation log file. This condition can occur if the Windows Installer's application heap becomes freed and thus loses the information on where to store the log file. When this occurs, Windows Installer attempts to write to the location 'C:\Windows\System32' and addresses it as a file. Proper behavior would be to write to the following location and file name: 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIxxxxxx.log'.

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the operating systems listed in the Applies To section of this article.

To work around this issue, stop and restart the Explorer.exe process using Task Manager."
I hope you find a solution soon.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

If you search back here (using Google) on the same subject plenty of threads report similar problems with Win10. The expert advice given in those threads is first to check that it is genuinely up to date.

Particularly look at the .NET Framework version. Contrary to the online advice you find the easiest way to do that is not to mess around in the registry. That will actually only give you a code ID for the version which means nothing to the average user.

Win10 I think uses Start menu > Settings > System > Apps and Features to list all installed programs. Whether it shows the full version I don't know but It should be v4.7.1 at least. That is apparently what the Win10 Fall Creators Update supports along with the most recent v4.7.2 update. Even simpler and therefore preferable just launch Revo Uninstaller or similar and it will list all installed programs including Microsoft .NET Framework and show the version.

Looking at the info it seems older versions of Win10 only support v4.6.2 so if your 'new' laptop, which may have been hanging about for a long time before sale, wasn't fully updated at the time there is a possibility that is something to do with the PDN installer problem.

Even if all this does is confirm everything is up to date that is still useful information for the real troubleshooters here.     

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

If you're installing onto a clean Win10 laptop, you'll have to make sure you've updated to the latest big Windows 10 update. 

I have some boxed copies of Win10 but if I install them I'll get the original version "1507". Lots of software will refuse to install unless I first update to a newer version.

Go to Windows Update and let it do its thing. Keep installing and rebooting until there are no more updates.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hi

Please accept my apologies for not getting back sooner however I have been locked out of the forum on numerous occasions with the error that I have entered the wrong password (which I haven't). Even ForumAdmin issued me with a new password which also resulted in my being locked out. Just done a password reset again to get access but don't know how long it will last based on past experience.

Thanks Pixey for your info. Unfortunately it did not help. I checked to see if I had 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIxxxxxx.log'. and there was nothing there in "Temp"

Thanks also to IHaveNoName.   I am running a Win 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1803.17134.376 which is the very latest prior to the withdrawn version 1809. The version of .net is the very latest 4.7. so no problems there I assume.

Thanks also to Rick Brewster.  It is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro as above from the MS Download. Winver shows the version as above. I had already actioned the Update facility until no further updates were available.

So I am still unable to install the program.

I do appreciate all your help.

12 hours ago, alanchippy said:

Please accept my apologies for not getting back sooner however I have been locked out of the forum on numerous occasions with the error that I have entered the wrong password (which I haven't). Even ForumAdmin issued me with a new password which also resulted in my being locked out. Just done a password reset again to get access but don't know how long it will last based on past experience.

Try this: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/113381-forum-cant-login-after-logout-wrong-pw-allegedly/?do=findComment&amp;comment=550304

• 1 month later...

Again sorry delayed reply. I continued to have my login refused with a wrong password (which it isn't). Again had to change the password to get in and I anticipate the problem returning when I log out now.

Ego Eram Reputo: Thanks for the info.

I waited until V4.1.5 came along, downloaded it and tried to install again. Same problem:-

"Error opening install log file. Verify the specified log file location exists and you can write to it"

I would verify that the file location does exist if I knew where it was supposed to be located and the file name. The error message is not very helpful as it stands. Does anyone know this info please?

Edited by alanchippy
Highlight the main problem

Just an update on the login problem. I can now log in but immediately get a screen which says:-

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: 2S119/1

However if  I go to "Forums" I can access this thread.

Usual cause: the forum is registering a double-click on the login button. 

Do a wildcard search of drive C by typing *.log in the search box. It will locate all of the files that end in the .log extension. It will reveal the paths of those .log files.

Edited by HyReZ