Gradient question on making edges gray

Hi, I am creating an image for our website or actually replacing one that was there as a template. What I would like to do is to make the edges gray to light gray like the Gradient tool kind of does but only on the border of the image. Is there a way to do this? I tried the gradient tool but could not get it to do this. I am attaching a picture of the original picture that shows how someone else did it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

banner.jpg

You can do much the same with @BoltBait's Bevel Selection: select the whole layer with Ctrl + A then run the plugin.

For years I've used the Effects > Object > Inner Shadow plugin for this sort of thing. No doubt I could have used other tools like the ones mentioned already here but when you know how to create an effect with the tools you have you don't go looking for an alternative.

In this example I used a mix of light and dark shadows from two opposite lighting directions to create beveled highlights and shadows but the same technique using all dark/black shadows should be transferable to the OP's subject if the other tools didn't suit the purpose.

515095846_UXSplashLogo.png.106b3d9fb524a7d6f32a5de51f5bb81c.png

I would now use BoltBait's Bevel Object plugin which does almost exactly the same thing but all in one go.

IHaveNoName.png

Hi I downloaded and followed the steps for the plug in but it doesnt seem to work. Im not seeing the inset box tool added onto my paint.net. I did get a message about being the window admin at one point in time??

I have a HUGE favor to ask. I've attached the image that I'm needing to add a radiant gray to the outter edge, much like the original picture on my post. The size is :

Width: 507

Height: 160

Resolution: 72.00

I've attached the image, its just white. Is there anyway anyone here would do the edges for me on their paint..net? I'd be sooooo grateful and would appreciate it sooo much... I promise not to ask for anything else :).. if not that's ok too and I'll try and get that plug in working somehow....

banner1.jpg

Edited by neptune1
update

Are you looking for the plugin in Effects -> Photo -> Inset Box Shadow ??

5 hours ago, neptune1 said:

Hi I downloaded and followed the steps for the plug in but it doesn't seem to work. I'm not seeing the inset box tool added onto my paint.net. I did get a message about being the window admin at one point in time?? 

You can also add Inset Box Shadow to paint.net using my plugin pack installer.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/109944-toe_head2001s-plugins-sept-29-2018/

5 hours ago, neptune1 said:

I have a HUGE favor to ask. I've attached the image that I'm needing to add a radiant gray to the outer edge, much like the original picture on my post.

I've attached the image, its just white. Is there anyway anyone here would do the edges for me on their paint..net? I'd be sooooo grateful and would appreciate it sooo much... I promise not to ask for anything else :).

Sorry, but that won't help you in the long term. You really need to learn to do it yourself.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

11 hours ago, neptune1 said:

hi, I am  and tried downloading installing it but it didnt work. I just simply need to make the outside border 

I can confirm both the Insert-Box Shadow and Boltbait's Bevel Selection plugins download from those previous links and work with the latest version of PDN.

As Ego Eram Reputo asked about the first one: " Are you looking for the plugin in Effects -> Photo -> Inset Box Shadow?"

There has to be some simple explanation as to why you can't get it installed or to work.

1). When you get the download it is ZIPped what did you use unpack it? (7Zip, PeaZip?)

2). When you unpacked it did you accidentally unpack it to a folder of the same name and installed that instead of just the actual plugin .DLL file it contains?

3). Did you install that plugin in the right place? Typically that would be C:\Program Files > Paint.net >  Effects folder.

Sometimes you'll get a a Windows warning message when you copy anything to a program folder about needing admin rights.

4).When you copied it to the PDN Effects folder did it actually copy ie. check it is actually there.

Once you're sure it is there restart PDN and look in Effects menu > Photo and it should be found here:-

1261343889_PDNInsert-BoxShadowPlugin-LocationwithExample.png.b2b7595394f6271447187b1ddc70f7c2.png

Edited by IHaveNoName
double attachment post

IHaveNoName.png

Hi @neptune1 and Welcome to the forum :)

Here is a tutorial which will show another way, but Inset Box Shadow does this too.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 hours ago, neptune1 said:

Thanks, it did get installed, I didn't know where to look for it, :)

Nothing to be embarrassed about; there are plenty of plugins I've installed where it doesn't actually say in which Effects sub-menu it can be found. It is not always obvious and I think that is true in this case; Inset-Box Shadow is not a specifically photographic effect.

Incidentally whilst on the subject Kris Vandermottens' Fade Edge plugin, also found in Photo could be used for similar effect if you added a plain darker background layer behind the original image. It gives neat 45 degree angled corners which might suit other subjects better but it occurred to me that with only a little more effort you could easily use it to create a quick metallic/reflective look picture frame which might be useful too.    

IHaveNoName.png

23 minutes ago, IHaveNoName said:

there are plenty of plugins I've installed where it doesn't actually say in which Effects sub-menu it can be found. It is not always obvious and I think that is true in this case

Not true in this case. The menu placement is mentioned twice on its forum topic; right at the top of the page.

Granted, it may not be obvious, if you don't read thoroughly.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

The Plugin Index lists the installed location of all plugins. You can get this info direct from the Index (link in my signature), or use the Plugin Browser to display where a plugin is to be found.

• Upvote 1

Hi @neptune1 No video required.  Just flatten the image you want to add the grey area to, open Inset Box Shadow and play with the settings:

inset-box-shadow.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey beat me to it. :)

The plugin creates a margin by default as shown in Pixey's example. To get rid of it use the slider to reduce the Baseline Margin to "0" (the margin and border will disappear entirely). Then just use the Spread slider to re-introduce the border as wanted.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

Try lowering the opacity slider.  The faint line is how it's supposed to look when using this Plugin.  If you compare the one you posted originally, and my chick, you will see they are the same.

line-around-inner-shadow.png

30b8T8B.gif