importing new layer resizes background image

Hi, 

Newbie to paint here. I'm having an issue with the background image automatically resizing when I import an image as a new layer. Is there a way to get around this? I know that the image I"m trying to import is much larger but I was planning to resize it to fit after import.  I resized the canvas to 800x800 right before importing. Also attaching before and after screenshots.

after import issue-min.JPG

before import-min.JPG

Hello @jonorlin and Welcome :)

Do you see the 'nubs' on the corners of your photograph - well, with the Shift Key held down grab one of the nubs with the mouse pointer and pull it inwards.  Your photo will then get smaller and will stay in proportion as you re-size it to match the layer below.  Watch the sizing info on the bottom left of PDN as you make it smaller.

Here is a video with a few examples of how to resize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9YeP5GXyjY

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks for your reply, however when I resize this way, or by using the resize option with only the top layer selected, the background is still only filling half the canvas. My issue is that on import the canvas size changes to fit the new picture instead of being locked to 800x800 as I set previously. 

I figured out how to resize the canvas again after import and so my issue is resolved but any suggestions on how to lock the canvas size so it won't change on every new import?

If you are importing images bigger than your background, it will always change the size of the canvas. 

Another way around is to, whilst in your 'fixed size' canvas, go to:

File - Open and navigate to your computer files for the larger picture you want to import - hit open and it will open in a 2nd window in PDN. 

In that window (you will see both windows open above in the top toolbar) you can resize it to the size you want. 

Then go to - Edit - Select All - Copy.  Go back to your 1st Window (just click on it in the toolbar) and then use paste into new layer.

Hope this help :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.