Oct 22 installer broken?

I can't install w/ the Oct 22 installer. I get a dialog where it's trying to find the file PaintDotNet_x64_2018660341.msi in the folder C:\Program Files\paint.net\Staging but the file isn't there. Currently I don't have Paint.Net because I had to hard uninstall the existing version to try to get the new version (the old version wouldn't uninstall w/ the installer), and I can't install the newest installer download. I've tried downloading the installer several times.

2 hours ago, TonyKingdad said:

I think it's a problem with the pdn installer itself (it's looking for a pdn installer file that isn't in the installer directory).

Well actually, your paint.net installation has became broken. You can use this utility to remove the broken installation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Afterwards, you can install paint.net anew.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

34 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Well actually, your paint.net installation has became broken. You can use this utility to remove the broken installation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Afterwards, you can install paint.net anew.

I already have it uninstalled; I cannot get the new installer to install it. It's looking for that file, PaintDotNet_x64_2018660341.msi, during the new installation.

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

Did you, or did you not use the utility I posted?

Yes, I had already used that during the previous uninstall issues. Initially I tried using the PDN update, but that failed (over and over). I downloaded and tried running the new installer, and it would fail trying to uninstall the prior version. So I tried uninstalling PDN directly from the Windows/settings/apps, and got errors. I ended up finding and using that utility previously, which actually was insufficient to get PDN uninstalled (I ended up using another utility afterward to get it uninstalled). Then I ran the installer, and it failed. So I downloaded the installer again, and it failed. Over and over. I noticed the installer had been created on Oct 22, which is why I came here to ask if there is an issue with the installer, because it's looking for a file (supposedly extracted from the installer to the install staging directory) which isn't there.

I'll try the utility again (both "install" and "uninstall" to allow it to do its incredibly long running registry checks), but I don't currently have PDN installed.

5 minutes ago, TonyKingdad said:

but I don't currently have PDN installed.

Windows Installer (MSI) thinks it's still installed. So, you have a broken/incomplete installation of paint.net on your system.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

17 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Windows Installer (MSI) thinks it's still installed. So, you have a broken/incomplete installation of paint.net on your system.

Well, this time it worked. Thanks! Not sure why it didn't work the first two times I'd run the utility (before coming to the forum for help), but now it's installed.