welshblue

Latest versions 'Jaggier' ?

This could have been something that's always been there, but I've only just noticed it. (Could very well be possible ... even after 10 years)

Has it always been that re-sizing/rotating with the mouse is less successful than Rotate/Zoom ?

Example below to explain my rambling

jaggy-line.png

Be sure to verify you're using the desired rotation quality when using the move pixels tool:

RotateQuality.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Be sure to verify you're using the desired rotation quality when using the move pixels tool:

Ahhh.  Head like a shed me

Thanks for that

Bicubic is new, but Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear have been there for quite awhile (albeit renamed to their proper names in 4.0, IIRC).

12 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Bicubic is new, but Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear have been there for quite awhile

Teaches me that I should click things on the interface and experiment to see what they do

Must be frustrating when all the work goes in and some people (me, in this instance; don't get it)

Set to Bilinear as default now

... reminds me of the time someone said I wasn't a PDN expert/or an artist - "just a plugin cruncher" 

(never could work out how that was meant to be an insult ... ? ... it's true)

I can not be the only one here who does not fully understand this sort of thing. As far as I do understand it is about interpolation when resizing images but which to use, for what purpose and why?

Unless there is some sort of guide here that explains it a simple description of the sort the sort of subjects and situations where each method is the more appropriate would help.

I'm often creating and then resizing down larger images to 256x256 for use as icons/thumbnails on a games' console. This is generally used at 480p resolution via YPbPr (Component) on a TV screen. I regularly have to reject some of my designs, particularly to remove text which, below a certain size or because of the actual font design, becomes unreadable when I do this. Until now I did not think there was anything more that I could do which might help. When resizing I've just left it on the default "Best Quality" assuming that was the most suitable. Maybe it is not.   

Edited by IHaveNoName

6 hours ago, welshblue said:

Teaches me that I should click things on the interface and experiment to see what they do

Must be frustrating when all the work goes in and some people (me, in this instance; don't get it)

Set to Bilinear as default now

... reminds me of the time someone said I wasn't a PDN expert/or an artist - "just a plugin cruncher" 

(never could work out how that was meant to be an insult ... ? ... it's true)

Read the release notes with every update :)https://blog.getpaint.net/