Keeping the original picture resolution after cutting and pasting in a new Paint.net project

Samsas

Hello,

thankyou very much for Paint.net. I'm using Paint.Net v4.1.1 final on Windows 10 and scanned a picture in a resolution of 600dpi. When i cut out parts and paste them in a new project window, Paint.net does keep and transfers the Pixel information (for example 3922 x 2443) but the picture resolution changes to 96dpi. Shouldn't the picture part that's cut out also be 600dpi? Why does Paint.net keeps the Pixel information but somehow changes the picture to a lower resolution?

Thanks and greetings

Samsas

Hi @Samsas and welcome!  ?

That is because you are pasting your element into a new project that is set at 96 dpi. Your element will 'adopt' your new project settings.

If you want to keep the dpi at 600, your new project must also be set at 600 dpi.  Simply change it when opening a 'new' canvas.

Hope that explains it for you.

Hiya lynxster4,

thanks for your answer and explanation. Could it be added to future releases of Paint.net to also transfer the resolution information to the new canvas at least for the cut and paste work? Would make it a lot easier to join and work with picture parts. It's a strange behaviour of a paint appliction to use the pixel information of the whole picture but not the same picture resolution from the source picture for the cut part.

best regards

Samsas

Edited by Samsas

If you open a new image it has to start with a default resolution and that is up to the user to change. I suppose that if it were possible to make a distinction between the main menu "New" image default and the Edit menu "Paste into New Image" behaviour so that it uses the resolution of the first layer pasted in that might work.

But I think it might inconvenience more users than the current set up even if it is possible.

For instance for the sort of purposes I use PDN I'm often cutting out elements out of existing images of varied resolutions and vastly different original sizes. I've found that It is easier to work on them as new images first before adding them as new layers to another new image. 96dpi is my go to resolution choice so knowing that each new image element is already using 96dpi is actually quite useful.

IHaveNoName.png

Good morning to all,

thanks IHaveNoName for your answer. I understand what you mean. Well, after wondering about my decreasing picture resolutions i now know how to deal with Paint.net. Thanks all.

Question: Are there more of such issues like this i have take care of when working with Paint.net?!

best regards

Edited by Samsas