Need Help Installing paint.net

a week ago paint.net was fine, then it crashed when i had a load of unsaved work done. When i reopened it, it crashed when i did some actions like create new or resize or delete etc. most actions i couldn't do. So i took the crash report and it told me to get a newer version, and i uninstalled paint.net, and tried to install it. But it wouldn't install, and randomly after running some compatibility options it worked. But kept crashing again. So i uninstalled again (don't actually know why) and tried to reinstall, it would send me this message at the end and fail  

System.IO.IOException: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at PaintDotNet.Setup.InstallingPage.<DoInstallation>d__48.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\src\SetupFrontEnd\InstallingPage.cs:line 993
   at PaintDotNet.Threading.Tasks.IterativeTask.IterativeTaskAnon.<OnExecute>d__1.MoveNext() in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Threading\Tasks\IterativeTask.cs:line 33
   at PaintDotNet.Threading.Tasks.IterativeTask`1.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<StepTask>b__0() in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Threading\Tasks\IterativeTask`1.cs:line 74

I am running windows 8 and windows defender is my only antivirus.

Maybe you already have it installed? Or some file is still on your pc? I recommend you get "winrar" its a software that helps you export the correct files. Once you get to the PDN download site download for a 32 bit or 64 bit, if you wanna check yours type "information" and it will show you. After that, depending what you are using if you're using google the download box should appear on the bottom left corner, then click on the button that shows more options (its right by the download box) and then click open file location, after that find paint.net installer in there, then extract all. (Desktop is probably the best option for extracting)  once you finish extracting it, click on the installer and then it will start downloading. (if i was not clear enough please let me know.)

3 hours ago, Zuphers said:

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Your hard drive may be going bad.

You need to run chkdsk.  Try these instructions: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

As that article BoltBait linked too explains Chkdsk will fix indexing errors it finds and move files out of any bad sectors on the HDD and mark them as not for use. But it still might indicate a possible problem with the HDD as others here suggested earlier.

If not done already check what Chkdsk actually did to see if it was just an indexing error or it moved something from a bad sector.

To find the Chkdsk logs (Win7):-

1. Open the Control Panel.
  2. Open Administrative Tools.
  3. Select Event Viewer.
  4. In the Event Viewer expand the Windows Logs.
  5. Select the Application log.
  6. Right Click the Application log and select Find.
  7. Type wininit in the box and click Find Next.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png