Spot Restore Brush?

Hello all, first post here.

Is there or does anyone know of a plugin that allows you to "spot restore"? As in a kind or eraser, that instead of erasing everything, erases the changes you have made in a specific spot and restores those pixels to what was in the original file. I hope that this makes sense? I suppose it could be considered a "spot undo".

Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like you're talking about a Mask Brush. It works just like you've said: brush over the parts of the image you want the mask to apply to. The mask could be an original/unmodified  image, or any other image.

I'm not sure if there a plugin with this feature, but you can simulate a Mask Brush by just using layer and the eraser. i.e.  Erase parts of the modified image in the top layer, so that the unmodified image in the layer below can show.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Great tutorial on the subject here 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sounds like you're talking about a Mask Brush. It works just like you've said: brush over the parts of the image you want the mask to apply to. The mask could be an original/unmodified  image, or any other image.

I'm not sure if there a plugin with this feature, but you can simulate a Mask Brush by just using layer and the eraser. i.e.  Erase parts of the modified image in the top layer, so that the unmodified image in the layer below can show.

Ah I see thank you, its as simple as that I suppose, but I'm new to photo editing programs of any kind so still learning the basics!

Null54's Content Aware Fill may also be helpful. I tried it with Sarkut's example pig picture, and it worked quite well, though some areas would require additional hand touch-ups. My approach was to add a new transparent layer, then paint over the areas I wanted to replace -- in the case of the pig picture, the fence. I then selected the painted region with the Magic Wand, switched layers to the image layer, and applied the Content Aware Fill.

Many cases would be simpler, requiring only a selection with the Lasso tool. I did, however, find that replacing the whole fence in one fell swoop appeared to work better than replacing a small section at a time, since it seemed to eliminate the problem of the filled-in section containing parts of the fence from elsewhere in the image.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, voteforno6 said:

Is there or does anyone know of a plugin that allows you to "spot restore"? As in a kind or eraser, that instead of erasing everything, erases the changes you have made in a specific spot and restores those pixels to what was in the original file. I hope that this makes sense? I suppose it could be considered a "spot undo".

After reading the original comment, I realize the answers didn't really address the question. There's no plugin that does this, or could do this, but it isn't too difficult to achieve, assuming we're just considering a singe layer. To restore a spot to what was in the original file, copy the original file into a new layer below the edited layer, then in the edited image, select the region to be restored, erase the selection, and merge down. To restore to an older edit, copy the layer to the clipboard, undo until you get to the version you want the spot restored to, paste the clipboard image into a new layer above restored version, erase the area to be restored, then merge down.

• Like 1