Herman Salim

Cannot Start Paint.net after Install

Every time i launch, i got this two error message:

https://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/17/11/92/75/herman11.jpg

The procedure entry point nextafterf could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll

https://i46.servimg.com/u/f46/17/11/92/75/herman12.jpg

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	PaintDotNet.exe
  Application Version:	4.101.6828.39058
  Application Timestamp:	5b9836f8
  Fault Module Name:	KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.1.7601.18409
  Fault Module Timestamp:	531599f6
  Exception Code:	e0434352
  Exception Offset:	0000812f
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Hello @Herman Salim and Welcome :)

Please can you check that all of your MS Windows are up-to-date and current.

My Windows is already Up to date but i still have this problem.

Finally it get solved when i got another copy of MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll from another system that Paint.net run smoothly without any problem.

This problem can be mark as solved.

Thank you..

Edited by Herman Salim

A damaged or more often simply a missing DLL I've found is surprisingly the most common source of problems like this when the error message cites a DLL.

It always pays to check that you do actually have the DLL in Windows > System32 and/or SysWOW64.

I checked my own Windows installation and the DLL is identified as Microsoft  C Runtime Library Application extension. Whilst there are supposedly identical DLLs with that ID in both folders, and all other details for both are exactly the same too, the one in SysWOW64 is slightly smaller than the one in System32 (964KB/970KB).

What this means I have no idea.

However I Googled the problem and apparently this same issue has been reported from last year onward in relation to a range of programs that now won't work which has been blamed on a Windows .NET Framework update:-

This is a typical thread from MS own 'help' pages - no official solution provided as far as I can see but simply replacing the DLL with a fresh download fixed it for some:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/msvcr120clr0400dll/debbc134-f4b2-4dde-8667-78560e3b0b2b

In short it is a Windows issue and nothing to do with PDN.

However I would do as Pixey recommended (some .NET Framework stuff is/was optional) and run System File Checker on the OS just to confirm there is nothing wrong it. I'd also have a look at what current version of .Net Framework is installed via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. You might find you have v4.7.2 installed already and that's why you're getting that typically unhelpful error "Set up failed" error message.    

I've upload msvcr120_clr0400.dll here:  <snipped>

The location is on: C:\Windows\System32

Make sure to back up your old file of msvcr120_clr0400.dll, before replace it with the new one.

Hope this can solve another user that have the same problem.

Edited by toe_head2001
Removed link

I can guarantee you that MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll is part of the .NET Framework. "CLR" is Common Language Runtime, which is a foundational part of the .NET Framework.

Repair your .NET Framework and you should be good. No need to download and swap around the DLL yourself -- that's actually very dangerous.

But how does he repair a .NET Framework installation that may have been broken by an official update if the information out there about similar problems is to be trusted? Windows may not see the installation as needing repair if you go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Uninstall/Change > Repair or whatever the equivalent path for the Windows version being used.

Worth a try though.

Using the restore point which Windows updates creates before that was done would have been the obvious solution. It would have rolled back to previous working version. That's what I would have done.

But I've found plenty of info that even if you uninstall it thoroughly using a program like Revo when you try to reinstall .NET Framework you'll still get the same message. This is exactly what appears to have happened when Herman Salim did that.

There is a .NET Framework repair tool and info about repairing such installations at MS but the repair tool, which seems to be the most current one, does not appear to support v4.7 >.

So what is there left to do other than try something a bit risky? You must of course create a restore point yourself before any such operation.

Edited by IHaveNoName

On 10/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rick Brewster said:

I can guarantee you that MSVCR120_CLR0400.dll is part of the .NET Framework. "CLR" is Common Language Runtime, which is a foundational part of the .NET Framework.

Repair your .NET Framework and you should be good. No need to download and swap around the DLL yourself -- that's actually very dangerous.

I have tried this and it's not working