Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Chiselled Stone Texture

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This technique allows you to make a base that will take a texture you make or import.

PlugIns Needed:

Cell Texture  Splinter  Texture Shader

Examples:

example_1.jpg example_2.jpg example_3.jpg

example_4.jpg example_5.jpg example_6.jpg

The Tutorial:

Spoiler

Chiselled_Stone_1.jpg

Chiselled_Stone_2.jpg

Chiselled_Stone_3.jpg

Make or Import a texture onto a New Layer >>> Set Blend Mode to Overlay >>> Play with the Opacity to your own tastes

*** You could also copy the texture to clipboard and use the clipboard option in Texture Shader and play with the options setting to get something unique ***

combo_2.jpg

Combo_1.jpg

*** Playing with the Cell size in Cell Texture gives differing results ***

Here I increased the cell size

difference_cell_size.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

The colorations you use in the clipboard versions look so realistically stone-like.  Are they produced with the Planetoid plugin?

@MJW ... you're starting to know me too well ?  The 1st 3 examples (at the top) are Planetoid made textures with some extra bits in them ... the bottom 3 are imported ones.

@Seerose ... that 1st one is absolutely stunning.  I would love that colouring as a trough for some of my alpine plants.  Thanks

Thanks for the rep points guys and yourself @LionsDragon  (must catch up soon ...)

One thing I'll have to add is sometimes using Sharpen/ Sharpen + to the finished base texture gives it more life.

In the 3 days since I found this technique the outcomes seem pretty endless and I've got some very realistic results.  (Really good for stone text)

Got to thank you for that MJW - I may not always use it as it's intended but I get some great maps to wrap textures to

Another example.  Smaller Cells.  Less Distance More splinters - 0.00 angle 

examples_2.png

• Like 1