Need help in recovering a corrupted PDN file !

Hello everyone ! I am really stressed out about this, recently i made a project which took me several hours and as i saved the paint.net project in PDN format, i realized i wanted a PNG of it as well, when i tried to save it again, i choose PNG as my format from the dropbox and then clicked on that PDN file and accidentally clicked on over writting it as i was tired after working for hours and then i tried to find my PNG, there was no any, only a PDN file which i tried to open came out to be currupted and gave this error.

System.FormatException: file is not a valid paint.net document
   at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1330
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

can you guys please help me ! I tried a recovery software and it worked perfectly file and my image was recovered but it had a HUGE watermark because that was a trial version, i dont earn money myself, i am a student, i really cannot afford high priced software and its not like i did not saved my project or recovering a deleted one, its the error of the software so please help me out !

Try renaming the file from .pdn to .png. You may have saved a PNG-formatted file with a PDN extension. That may recover the PNG version. If it does, recovering the original PDN version would require the type of program toe_head2001suggests, since the actual file was overwritten.

It looks like your image is not corrupted but the problem was that you overwrote the pdn file as a png -- preserving the pdn file extension. You will have to change the file extension from pdn to png and you may open the image again! However, since you overwrote it with the png version, if you had layers in your pdn file you will have lost those.

You can rename the file with command prompt by cd'ing to the path the file is located and then renaming it.

C:\Users\MyUsername>cd Desktop\
C:\Users\MyUsername\Desktop>rename MyImage.pdn MyImage.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SodiumEnglish said:

It looks like your image is not corrupted but the problem was that you overwrote the pdn file as a png -- preserving the pdn file extension. You will have to change the file extension from pdn to png and you may open the image again! However, since you overwrote it with the png version, if you had layers in your pdn file you will have lost those.

You can rename the file with command prompt by cd'ing to the path the file is located and then renaming it.

C:\Users\MyUsername>cd Desktop\
C:\Users\MyUsername\Desktop>rename MyImage.pdn MyImage.png

Thanks a lot man ! I slept yesterday with regrets and now im fine ! thanks a lot, this command promt technique worked !!!

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Need help in recovering a corrupted PDN file !