A way to paste clipboard into the center of the screen

When you paste an image from the clipboard, the Move tool :MoveTool:is automatically selected (see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EditMenu.html#7). Move the cursor away from the control nubs and you should be able to click and drag to reposition the pasted image. Alternatively, click and drag the control nub MoveCursor.PNG  (see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html#7)

18 hours ago, Antediluvian said:

but with the plugin the pasted image is immediately fixed in place (unless I'm missing some controls).

If you're referring to Paste From Clipboard, the Offset control allows the pasted image to be repositioned. However, I thought your goal was to paste the image into the middle of the canvas. As Ego Eram Reputo points out, if you paste an image in the normal, non-plugin, way, you can move it around afterward, since the Move Selected Pixels tool is automatically selected.

Paste the image into a new layer with Ctrl + Shift + V. Then you can run one of the align plugins to center it (like Align Object).

4 minutes ago, Antediluvian said:

I'm trying to find a way to either paste directly into current center (but not fix in place, as fine adjustment is needed) or to alter paste position with some plugin.

You can't do that; even with a plugin. There is no way to have it paste to the center of the viewport.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 7/25/2018 at 1:48 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Paste the image into a new layer with Ctrl + Shift + V. Then you can run one of the align plugins to center it (like Align Object).

...and after you've done this you can fine-tune the placement by moving the entire layer (press the M key click and drag or arrow keys for per-pixel movement)

• 3 years later...

Another way: (1) be sure both the destination canvas and the image you are copying are the same dots per inch, (2) set the color to opacity zero,  (3) change canvas size to center, with height and width matching the destination (you should now see your image surrounded by transparent checkerboard), (4) select all of the image, (5) copy, (6) select the destination, (7) paste to new layer (not paste, which will wipe out the destination layer contents)

Using two canvas size steps instead of one, you can position your image anywhere on the destination canvas you like: just select (for example) lower right, then expand to the desired top and left margins, then select upper left, and put in the whole destination size.