Sign in to follow this  
Ego Eram Reputo

​⚠️​Construction Zone​⚠️

Welcome to the  ⚠️Construction Zone⚠️

We know you're all talented digital artists, but how are your fabrication skills?

This is a section of the forum where you can show off things you've built, designed or constructed in the physical world. I was inspired to create this forum by BoltBait's fabulous pinball machine: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/6291-the-sanctuary/?do=findComment&comment=546163

GUIDELINES FOR THIS FORUM:

1. Don't post step-by-step guides. There just isn't space, and there are better places to post that sort of stuff on the internet.
  2. Post no more than a few photos/plans. Posting 1000 photos of your new house extension is going to get it removed. You are welcome to post a link to a photo gallery on an external hosting site.
  3. One post per project.

I've been doing some modelling. No, no. making models, not catwalks (although I think I'm good looking enough to make millions ?)

Here's the first one I've finished.

P1010349.jpg

It stands about 200mm tall (28mm scale for all you RPG geeks out there). It is entirely constructed out of little plaster bricks I make from molds purchased from Hirst Arts.

The painting is my own. Yes I've improved since then.

A few more photos can be found here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/hlhn5gx0/

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I hope a Sand Castle counts?

Sand_Castle.png

(With my nephew in the Seychelles)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Thanks! I sewed the whole thing by hand (including shoe covers to resemble soft boots), and did it without a pattern. I always knew that minor in History would count for something!

Now I just need to make a couple of updates to my garb, now that Ingrid Svipalsdottir is off the farm and cooking for the monastery. ;)

@Ego Eram Reputo, let me know if you want me to throw together a pattern. Todd likes the tunic so much, he’s interested in more!

Edited by LionsDragon
  • Like 1

ALL OF THIS IS VERY COOL!!! I'm so glad so many enjoy creativity. It's so good for the soul and mind. When you gotta make something, you GOTTA make something! We're all artists in our own way. That's a good thing, too.

I made a leather dice bag to hold all my die. It has this neat leather thong which secures the opening flap and also creates the teardrop shape when closed.

Holds dozens of die. I found the coffee colored d6 cheap on Aliexpress - they are my current favorite.

20181229-154659.jpg  20181229-154526.jpg  20181229-154559.jpg  20181229-154617.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

That is just beautiful @Ego Eram Reputo <3 you could patent it and make a million :)  It would also be great for small change as well.

(Nice soft looking blanket - my new cat would love that)

On 7/3/2018 at 1:29 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

not catwalks (although I think I'm good looking enough to make millions ?)

... make millions of cats walk ? 😋 (Joke.  You're a good looking dude)

Not sure why I haven't commented here before ... maybe because I stay away from Caution signs ...

Cool models.  And excellent stitching on the purse - fair play you've a real technical/practical brain

Neat sandcastle @Pixey ( Whatever beauty/fitness regime you have - bottle it ... stunning)

More patience than me @Eli ... my head hurts looking at it

Nice job @lionsdragon

Kudos to you all

• Upvote 1

Gardening keeps me sane.  Some hypertufa pots I made for alpine plants.   Peat Moss, cement and sand.  They've weathered nicely over the winter

Flowers either grown from seed or from cuttings

hypertufa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 2/23/2019 at 10:08 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

What is your secret recipe for the mixing ratios?

I use two part cement, one peat moss and 2 sharp sand ('builders sand')

I don't use the perlite or reinforcing fibres.  I find a squirt of washing up liquid helps keep it malleable plus the amount of water is important - brick laying mortar consistency

Too wet and they won't set properly, too dry it won't follow contours and stick (you can add water but you can't take it away motto)

They say to sieve the peat moss, I don't bother - just smooth it up in my hands - the coarser bits add more character IMO

Trial and error has shown me it's important to keep them covered and a misting of water every day - nothing worse than it breaking in your hands.

After about 7/10 days you can wire brush/ carve them ... gently - a week later a diluted vinegar bath to leach out the acidity from the cement and peat moss - 10 days later they can be planted up.

It's good fun ... like a kid playing with mud pies again.  The only downside is when the missus discovers you've pinched receptacles from the house to use as a mould.

Like the washing up bowl above 😁

Edited by welshblue
* got the ratio mix wrong

+1 for the hypertufa product.  I still have the oversized pot my father-in-law made many moon ago somewhere in my front garden, and it is still going strong.  I'll post a picture of it later.

20 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

"Yes Dear - only one week. 10 days maximum...." Thud?

You're not far wrong there ... next images show a mixing bowl shape ... that did not go down well.   Her voice went up a few octaves

Says a lot when I'm the only person I've heard her swear at.  And threaten physical violence to.  I'm a nice person really ... so don't know why

You can see the difference in using pure concrete as opposed to hypertufa by the whiteness of the ummm mixing bowls

hypertufa-1.jpg  hypertufa-2.jpg

I've tried natural yoghurt to age them.  Doesn't work.  Cow dung is meant to ... but I don't really fancy that.  Just time and damp conditions

4 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

I'll post a picture of it later.

Cool.  I like looking at picture of all things gardening.  Sad but therapeutic.

I spent too many years desecrating forests ... I worked out I'm responsible for the death of about 500,000 + trees in my forestry career

And only 2 ever put me in hospital 🤣  So growing things is my way of atoning ... if only in my head

Nice pots you made @welshblue :)

This is a piece from my Needlepoint Era.   (Done by hand and not PDN.)

Needlepoint-Deer.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

@Pixey ... that's brilliant.  It must have taken ages to stitch to get the fur looking so 'strokable' with the lighting etc so good. Do you have to stitch in different directions ?

• Like 1