How to Install Plugins ×

Equirectangular Viewer

MJW

This plugin displays and reorients equirectangular images. Equirectangular images are panoramic views, which represent a complete spherical image in  longitude-latitude format. The plugin is (perhaps not too sensibly) in the Height Map menu.

The plugin DLL (version 1.0.0): Equirectangular Viewer.zip

The Help menu description:

Equirectangular Viewer projects an equirectangular image onto the canvas, as if viewed through a window, and also allows the orientation of an equirectangular image to be changed. Normally the width of an equirectangular projection is twice the height, but any image will be scaled to cover the entire sphere

The controls are:

Mode: Specifies the result to display in the canvas. When View Equirectangular Image is selected, the portion of the image within the field of view will be projected onto the canvas. When Transform Equirectangular Image is selected, the image will be transformed into a new equirectangular image, with a different orientation.

Get Image From Clipboard: When selected, the image will be taken from the clipboard instead of the canvas.

Position Specifies View Center: When this option is disabled, moving the View Position control causes the image to move in the same direction. When this option is enabled, the position of the control indicates the location in the image to position at the center of the canvas.

View Position: Specifies the position of the sphere represented by the equirectangular image.
View Rotation: Specifies a counterclockwise rotation angle, in degrees. The rotation is centered at the center of the canvas.

Field of View: In viewing mode, specifies the angular field of view, measured relative to the canvas diagonal.

Sphere Nearness: In viewing mode, specifies the distance to the sphere represented by the equirectangular image. When zero, the sphere is at infinity. Larger values move the sphere closer.

Antialias: Specifies that antialiasing should be used.
Antialias Quality: Specifies the number of samples in each direction per pixel. The total number of samples per pixel is this value squared.

Equirectangular images are widely available on the Internet. Here is a small example:

Art_Gallery_ER.png

This plugin may or may not be useful to anyone. I wrote it mostly to give myself better insight into some aspects of equirectangular images.

The Position Specifies View Center control was added because I wanted the default action of the control to match the similar control in the Texture Shader, but it's sometime useful for the control to specify the region of the map to be located at the center of the final image.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

This is really cool @MJW  ?    Here are my examples:

Original

equirect_01.jpeg

View Mode

equirect_02.jpg

Transform Mode

equirect_03.jpg

I can see this plugin being very useful, especially with the Texture Shader plugin!   Thank you so much!   :beer:  

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my Equirectangular-ness is more of a Circumlocution-ness.  Feeling silly now.

ORIGNAL

54415281_TheCliffHouseSanFrancisco1899.thumb.png.c0969468b921bfecab50d91ee0afac17.png

Feeble attempt (yes I added the drain cover) 

1024295959_TheCliffHouseSanFrancisco1899drain.thumb.png.de48b0c3dbd953682f55a120e794cb72.png

• Like 3

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

• 11 months later...

Equirectangular images are actually created from a series of photos that are stitched together. They're like 360° panoramic photos, but more so, since they must also cover up and down. I've never done it, though, and don't know the details of the process. There's a program call Hugin on SourceForge that's designed for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I want to edit the tripod of equirectangular images.

If I understand, your plugin doesn't allow editing ?

And if I'm right, would it be possible to create one that allow you to change "the view position", allow edition and save back the image without loss ?

Thank you for your input.

lamazze

12 hours ago, oleole said:

And if I'm right, would it be possible to create one that allow you to change "the view position", allow edition and save back the image without loss ?

I wish I could offer you hope in that regard, since such a feature would be useful, but unfortunately making a version that supports editing sufficient to edit out a tripod, would be a vastly complex task.

Could try the transform equirectangular image mode to adjust the image so that the area you want to edit is in one area (say view position lower bar to -1.0) then mark out the area you don't want, erase it and fill the area in using something like the content aware fill plugin to edit out the tripod. Or if the content aware fill option takes too long try adding in another image similar to the area you are filling in (making sure its the lower image so not to cover over the main image) onto another layer then merge the two images. After that adjust the image back to its original form then save it might get the results closest to what it sounds like you are looking for (if somewhat time consuming).

Here's a equirectangular pic I did edited from a video I took on holiday once.

blue sky and sandy beach 360v2.png

Edited by blip
To add a picture
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for this plugin, MJW, so glad to find out it is actually more than just a viewer :)

I still have to use Snapseed to "Heal" though, i.e. remove the tripod, etc... Is there similar "Heal" function with Paint.net? I hope so.

Thanks again and looking forward unto improving this "360 Rotator" - Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 4:50 AM, oleole said:

Hello,

I want to edit the tripod of equirectangular images.

Thank you for your input.

lamazze

Hi lamazze,

Plugin now allows editing, so it should have been upgraded into "Equirectangular Editor".

It is possible to edit "view position" and save lossless as PNG or PDN.

For now "rotation" is a bit confusing but it is still in X, Y and Z axes.

Regards,

Simply360

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seerose said:

❤️ @simply360!

Welcome to our :PaintDotNet32: family. Have a good time. 🧁 

Thanks @Seerose, glad to be a :PaintDotNet32: family member :)

I see you used 🧁 in there, if u know what "cupcake-hearted" means, you'll know my country of origin.

Decided to join because of @MJW "Height Map" plugin.

Being a 360 enthusiast, I was so glad to have that plugin along with @null54 "Content Aware Fill".

So now I can vanish the tripod and myself on my virtual tours :)

Plenty of room for improvements for both, I hope to post about it soon.

To more awesome :PaintDotNet32: - Cheers!