Transparent image BGs imported as white

Hey all, 

I have just purchased 4.0.2.1 in order to (mainly) resize/merge some transparent .png images I have.

Everything is fine in terms of resizing, and yes I do know how to use the magic wand to retrospectively achieve transparency - but I am currently highly frustrated that every time I import a file with transparent background, this software gives it a white background. I have ensured that the intial layer is transparent first - it is definitely the image itself that is being interpreted as white.

It doesn't seem like this should be the default behaviour - is there a setting that I cannot find somewhere, to fix this? If anyone has some advice I will be very grateful :)

Here is the result of importing a transparent png saved from the web, hopefully this helps makes my problem clearer:

image.png.4a3c5176a7e8d728c9ce42ac8c0bc2c5.png

Thanks!

Matt

@mathius - Welcome to the forum :)

The image you imported may not have been completely transparent.  A quick way is to remove the white background with the Color Reaper Plugin.

rim_color_reeper.png

Hope this works for you.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Matt, can you upload the image so we can have a look at it?