Gradient/ Transperancy tool gone wrong

For a few years now I've been building montages by layering over a series of images to create a 'busy' picture. Some of this has involved some quite intricate stuff, but Paint.Net has been a God send. Suddenly however, the whole thing has fallen apart, and I'm even struggling to explain what has happened. I can lay down an image as normal. Then put a second image into a specific point on the original image as a layer, and copy it, so ensuring it can be added in the same place each time I paste it back. By using the gradient tool on transparency mode I can then begin fade it's creation into the original image, often achieving some eye catching effects by bleeding one image into another. I recently came to improve on previous creation I wasn't happy with and repeated the set up as normal, only to discover that the transparency tool when set on a concentric circle had completely altered. It's horrible, and at a single stroke has just about wiped out 90% of my creative potential for Paint.Net. Instead of selectively being able to fade one image in over another, it's now leaving a hard border. I can pretty well achieve the same effect by simply copy pasting an image. Is there anyway of restoring the original functionality please? I don't recall processing any updates, so I'm not sure what's caused this. This new functionality simply isn't fit for purpose

Sounds like you've changed your toolbar settings. Do they look like this image?

gradienttype.png

The important ones are : No Repeat | Antialiasing Enabled | Normal Blend Mode