Even with 8 GB of ram, paint.net runs extremely slow for me (details inside)

lukerack

I have searched and found a similar question, but it did not help me in my particular case.

-I have a clean PC. It has Windows 10, an AMD 64-bit processor, 8 GB of ram and a 1 TB hard drive (with 950 GB available).

-I downloaded the latest version of Paint.net (4.0.21).

-It runs so slow that it can't be used. Everything else on my computer runs fine (I even use Blender without any issues at all). 

-Even with a low resolution (width: 800 px), just drawing a simple brush stroke cause SERIOUS lag. I'm not asking for an old version, but could that perhaps fix the issue? 

Thank you.

Edited by lukerack

Sometimes other software hooks into Direct2D, and can causes issues with paint.net.  Usually it's gaming utilities, but could be other types of programs.

A quick way to test if other software is inferring is to go into Windows Safe Mode, and see if the issue persists while running paint.net.

Let us know what you find out.  Post a list of running processes if you aren't sure.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab