Sign in to follow this  
anderpainter

PN forum suggestions

I guess this is the place for this, as it doesn't actually concern Paint.net proper.

(1.) When you edit a post here and want to save your changes, shouldn't the button say Save Changes rather than Edit Post? I mean, you've already edited the post; now you want to save it, not edit it. (BTW, the human who does the editing, not the forum software; it just replaces the original post with the new one.)

At first I didn't want to click "Edit Post", because I thought it was a way to reject your changes and re-open the original message. Eventually I realized there was nothing else to click, though, and assumed it was just vague wording.  :?)

(2.) No Preview button? This is the only forum I know of that doesn't let you see how your message will appear before you save it. Maybe you think we're infallible—after all, we're artists (LOL). But a Preview would still be good.

Hi @anderpainter   There's a preview button.  It's there for your initial post and any editing of the post.

previewbutton.png

Item #1...you're being kinda picky there.  Save Changes and Edit Post are interchangeable.

If that's the way the forum software is worded, it is what is.  ☺️

Edited by lynxster4

On 5/28/2018 at 6:14 AM, lynxster4 said:

Hi @anderpainter   There's a preview button.  It's there for your initial post and any editing of the post.

previewbutton.png

Item #1...you're being kinda picky there.  Save Changes and Edit Post are interchangeable.

If that's the way the forum software is worded, it is what is.  ☺️

Thanks for pointing out the Preview button! I never would've known, and am not in the habit of hovering over every available icon to see what it does.

Re the "Edit Post" legend—I take it you're not actually suggesting we give up trying to make GUIs as sensible and intuitive as possible.

The fact remains that it's contradictory for an "Edit Post" button to appear when you're already editing the post. As a GUI consultant, I've seen countless examples where developers have introduced unnecessary ambiguity by "reinventing the wheel" like this.

The evolution of forum software has already benefited from decades of effort by developers and users. It's just not necessary to reinvent something like Save Changes, when we know it works so well.

3 hours ago, anderpainter said:

Re the "Edit Post" legend—I take it you're not actually suggesting we give up trying to make GUIs as sensible and intuitive as possible.

As Rick has pointed out, the people to take this to are the Invision group who write the software. We have limited control over the way the forum presents itself.