Changing layer properties changes active layer

Changing the layer properties of a hidden layer changes the active layer after confirming the properties window.

1. Open a new image; it has one layer (Background)
  2. :LayersAddNewLayer: Ctrl+Shift+N - Add a second layer (Layer 2); Layer 2 gets activated
  3. :LayersAddNewLayer: Ctrl+Shift+N - Add a third layer (Layer 3); Layer 3 gets activated
  4. Hide Layer 2 by clicking on the checkbox in the :WindowLayers: Layers window; Layer 3 remains activated
  5. :LayersLayerProperties: F4 - Open layer properties for Layer 3
  6. Change something except for visibility; confirm; Layer 3 remains activated
  7. Activate Layer 2
  8. :LayersLayerProperties: F4 - Open layer properties for Layer 2
  9. Change nothing, but confirm; Layer 2 remains activated
  10. :LayersLayerProperties: F4 - Open layer properties for Layer 2 again
  11. Change something except for visibility; confirm; Expected result: Layer 2 remains activated; Result: Background gets activated

paint.net v4.0.21 (Final 4.21.6589.7045)

Edited by LWChris
Added short summary and version number to confirm this is an issue in the latest version

Hello @LWChris.  The problem you are having is because you have not UN-hidden (checked the box) in Layer 2, when you change the mode. 

If the layer 2 is not checked, (UN-hidden) then when you execute your mode change, it will then activate the layer below, because you have the layer still hidden :smile:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 months later...

Hello @Pixey, I know that Paint.NET tries to "help" by selecting the next-best visible layer when I delete layers or when the change I made in the layer properties was hiding the layer.

What my reproduction steps were meant to show that this behaviour introduces a consistency issue, for example when you rename layers. Even worse is the fact that it doesn't happen when you change nothing in the properties dialogue and because it decides "Nothing to do here" and also skip the check. That means it's very confusing at times.

• It does not change when you unhide the layer
  • It does change when you hide the layer
  • It does not change when you change properties for a visible layer
  • It does change when you change properties for a hidden layer
  • It does not change when change nothing for a visible layer
  • It ALSO does not change when you change nothing for a hidden layer

The use case that happened to me was that I wanted to rename a hidden layer. I selected the layer in the Layers window, I pressed F4, typed the new name, noticed a typo but my right hand was too fast pressing "Enter". So I pressed F4 again, and suddenly the name was completely different. It took me a while to notice the layer had changed to the next visible one below. I did not expect "Rename" to change the active layer, because I have not actively been messing with layers or their visibilty.

Edited by LWChris