PostImage.org - UPDATE - 4/9/20

Hopefully this is not going to be a problem, but today I can't link to either of these sites which seem to be down.  Is anyone else having this trouble?

postimg.png

Imgur.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Djisves Yes, can see previously uploaded images, but try to login to Imgur .................... you get a cute giraffe with a note that's it's over capacity.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You can still get in to PostImage.org by ignoring the message and go to top right and click on Images.  It takes you to your images.  I've just added one and will test it here.

Is_it_Down.png

Someone has suggested on the IsItDown site, which says it's up and running, that Postimage.org has been hacked.

30b8T8B.gif

16 minutes ago, Pixey said:

You can still get in to PostImage.org by ignoring the message and go to top right and click on Images.  It takes you to your images.  I've just added one and will test it here.

Yes, only postimg.org is affected.  postimg.cc, postimage.org, and postimages.org still work fine.

16 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Someone has suggested on the IsItDown site ... that Postimage.org has been hacked.

I don't think so. The Whois information on the domain (postimg.org) clearly show a status of serverHold. Meaning the domain registrar has disabled DNS on the domain, rendering it unusable.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

To restore the image it need to change the path from postimg.org to postimg.cc.

This task is not easy with the text editor of the forum . I'm not prepared to redo all my posts. Is it possible to make this replacement by a query on the database?

Or have a HTML editor...

As of now, Saturday 14th April 2018 the Postimage.org site is up and running again and they are adding .cc to the images.

Testing with this image:

cute_mouse.png

I guess we have no option but to change our images to include the .cc.  I can't find a reason why this happened.

30b8T8B.gif

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

As of now, Saturday 14th April 2018 the Postimage.org site is up and running again and they are adding .cc to the images.

Testing with this image:

cute_mouse.png

I guess we have no option but to change our images to include the .cc.  I can't find a reason why this happened.

As you said, the problem isn't solved.

Postimg.org is still locked. Login to your account works because it is postimage.org.

New links with old or new images work because there is a automatic path transition from postimg.org to postimg.cc.

Old links in the forum  are still broken...

@MadJik I am getting really confused about what is going on here.  When I log-in the old way to:  postimages.org I get into the site okay.  But, when I click on an album it shows up as postimg.cc/files.   You mention Postimg.org ............  which I've never used before and is different to postimages.org.  The question remains that something really weird has happened.

Does anyone know if one pays to join Photo bucket (God forbid) do they allow people to link back to them now?

EDIT:  I've just noticed that whilst I'm logged-in on the forum, in Firefox, all my postimages.org images are viewable( but not clickable.) When not logged-in on Chrome, the links are broken :blank:

30b8T8B.gif

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Does anyone know if one pays to join Photo bucket (God forbid) do they allow people to link back to them now?

Yes, they came out with a cheaper premium plan (for personal use only) billed at $100/year. It includes storing up to 300,000 images, unlimited 3rd party hosting, unlimited forum embedding and unlimited sharing.  If anyone is interested:  http://www.photobucket.com/p500/

As an aside, I bought my own domain space for a little under $200 for 3 years (this was a promotional rate). The renewal cost is not unreasonable. And it also included my own website (which you have to build yourself).

I only see more problems like this in the future.  These hosting sites aren't going to let this go on 'free' forever.

• Like 1

I sure wish postimage would restore the old names. If not, I hope there's some automated way all the links on the PDN site can be updated. Not only is editing all one's own links a huge hassle, but in quite a few cases it's not possible. The comp section's Archived threads are locked, and the posts can't be edited, and the Galleria images are not under the control of the original creator.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I sure wish postimage would restore the old names. If not, I hope there's some automated way all the links on the PDN site can be updated. Not only is editing all one's own links a huge hassle, but in quite a few cases it's not possible. The comp section's Archived threads are locked, and the posts can't be edited, and the Galleria images are not under the control of the original creator.

Fortunately only one image was affected in the Galleria and was easily fixed.  It would be a mammoth job to go back and edit the comp sections though.  I wonder if it is worth it?  They could be unlocked if folks really want to go back and add the .cc to their image address's.

30b8T8B.gif

20 minutes ago, Pixey said:

It would be a mammoth job to go back and edit the comp sections though.  I wonder if it is worth it?

Maybe it's just because the majority of images I've posted here have been in comps, but I certainly think the archived comp section should be updated.

Though I know almost nothing about website administration, and even less about this particular site, if there's read-write access to the underlying files, it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to write a Perl script or something similar to update all the postimage links. Also, it seems there might be something that could be done to translate the the image-link lookups on the fly.

@MJW I too am not real savvy about this kind of problem either.  At the least, they may be able to rectify the problem, as their initial message seemed to reflect that they were working on it and that the .cc was a patch for now.  Hopefully this is so :D.  Perhaps they didn't pay their bill this year :lol:

Someone on the IsItDown site suggested this:

Simone Preston · 
No, a "find & replace" will change every single instance/image of postimg.org to postimg.cc within a single html file (or whatever your source file is). 

You have to do it for all of your separate files, though.... but not your separate images.

If you're posting to other people sites, then I guess you have to give them the updated image links.... and that would be a pain if it's a ton of separate sites.

30b8T8B.gif

I just discovered, whilst re-linking some photos for a tutorial, thanks to @ReMake that Postimage is doing a 'sneaky' thing every now and then by adding a Spam link to your image code. 

Please watch for an unusually long code at the end of your URL.

url=https://postimages.org/]blablabla[/url]spongebob patrick and squidward

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif