Jump to content

PDN file not valid - won't open


Recommended Posts

My computer crashed while I was working on a PDN file project. I now get this error when opening the file: 

 

System.FormatException: file is not a valid paint.net document
   at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1333
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158 

 

If someone could help me get this file working again that would be great. Even if there is a way to just convert the file to a PNG that's fine - I can work off that. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @PATOOFA & Welcome.  Please open PDN and go to the little Gear at the top right of the screen :Settings: and click on Diagnostics and copy & paste the crash log to this thread.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @PATOOFA & Welcome.  Please open PDN and go to the little Gear at the top right of the screen :Settings: and click on Diagnostics and copy & paste the crash log to this thread.

Hey thanks for the reply. I checked the crash logs and there is nothing. When the error appears, Paint.NET doesn't crash - the pdn file simply doesn't open.

 

This is the error window that appears when I try opening my pdn file:

error.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You say that your computer crashed ... like the whole system? Or just Paint.NET? If the latter, then a crash log should still be available using the method Pixey described. And that's what we'll need.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

You say that your computer crashed ... like the whole system? Or just Paint.NET? If the latter, then a crash log should still be available using the method Pixey described. And that's what we'll need.

My computer system randomly crashed while I was using Paint.NET. It had nothing to do with Paint.NET - it was simply a Windows error. The crash log is empty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, darn. When Paint.NET saves an image it uses a technique that ensures there isn't data loss in the event of an app crash. However, if your computer randomly crashed on its own then there's no real guarantee -- there's no good way to know what happened, what caused it, etc.

 

You could look in the folder where you saved the image, there might be a file with the same name but a ".pdnBak" extension. If it's there then you're in luck: rename it to remove the .pdnBak. Otherwise, sadly, your file is toast.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Okay, darn. When Paint.NET saves an image it uses a technique that ensures there isn't data loss in the event of an app crash. However, if your computer randomly crashed on its own then there's no real guarantee -- there's no good way to know what happened, what caused it, etc.

 

You could look in the folder where you saved the image, there might be a file with the same name but a ".pdnBak" extension. If it's there then you're in luck: rename it to remove the .pdnBak. Otherwise, sadly, your file is toast.

 

Damn, could I give you the file and see if you can do something with it? It is still a .pdn file so I assume the data should still be there, but Paint.NET can't open it due to some issue.

It won't let me upload the file here as it is over 256kb. Maybe I can DM the file to you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But why would all the information get scrambled? I remember saving the project a few minutes before the crash, which means the data (pre-crash) was stored - so I don't see why the entire thing would get scrambled without me doing anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PATOOFA I'm so sorry you lost the file.  Been there done that :happeh:

 

If you could save the PDN File to Drop Box and post the link here, I can take a look at what is inside, if anything, to put your mind to rest :D

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry - I opened it and I get the exact same error message you do.  No data there.  I was really hoping, but it's not to be :(.

 

When I first started out learning PDN @barbieq25 drummed it into me, to save often and make it a regular thing.  Now, once I'm making something I save it to PDN in different stages, so if I mess up I can find the one before.  I know this is not much consolation >:O

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...