Gradient

thelocaldad

Im trying to make a cover for something like my friend made (here's his) 

image.png.78b55623b8785c66d82cc26c6a54dc9f.png

but with a shade of blue, so I got the shade of blue I wanted, selected gradient and the diamond option and selected white as my color, but when I try to make it, nothing happens, it says its doing something on the history but I cant visibly see anything. I'm starting from just a solid color and trying to get the same effect as seen in his, how do i do that?

Hey there thelocaldad - welcome to the forum :)

Try this:

First of all, press Ctrl + D to deselect any selection you might have. You might also want to create a brand new layer :LayersAddNewLayer: to house the gradient.

1. Set your Primary color to 2A2163 (hint - you can copy & paste this value into the Hex box in the extended Colors Window)

2. Set the Secondary color to 8F84BA (no - it's not white)

3. Select the Gradient Tool

4. In the toolbar, choose the Diamond Gradient shape (also check the Toolbar is showing the Colors mode - not Transparency mode)

5. Hold down the Shift key (forces the angle to 15 degree increments - so is useful for keeping it straight).

6. In the middle of the canvas, Right click and drag to create the shape.

diamond_gradient.jpg

Close enough??

I use the right click and drag so you can easily position the cursor in the center of the canvas. I usually do it by eye, but you can use the cursor position and image dimensions from the Status bar to work out the exact center.