welshblue

Glass Text Tutorial

An aside ...

This can be adapted to make melting ice and a dripping water text.  Depending how the glass one goes down with other users, I'll knock the stages together if there's enough interest in a how to, also to make this one 3D

• Like 1

You can also

- Partially blur the background seen through the glass to simulate non-opaque volume. I'd use Gaussian Blur (Clamped).

- Take prominent lines and edges seen through the glass and bend them to simulate index of refraction. I'd use Liquify or GridWarp.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga

<3 @welshblue:trophy: Thank you for the most fantastic instructions! :star::star::star::star::star: (much more stars....) ;)  And a nice weekend for you and your family. :cake: :coffee:

@lynxster4 and @Seerose .... thanks.  I'll look forward to what twists you put on it.

3 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

You can also

... do what you said and more.  It's hopefully open to interpretation for people's imaginations to run wild.

Thanks for the Rep point ... and you Seerose

• Like 1

Fantastic stuff :star:@welshblue I have no idea how you manage to work out all of @MJW's amazing Plugins, but you sure have (and @lynxster4 too) taught me a thing or two or 20 ............ and I thank you very muchies :D

Herewith my attempt.  I used a different font and played slightly with some modes.

Shiny.png

• Like 4

Another cool use for glass text is for special effects, like this glass font lava lamp I made...

T61mMQs.gif 

Edited by dipstick
Better version, though not looping.
  • Like 5

<3 @welshblue! Thanks again. :cake: :coffee: 

My results is below. I played something with the settings. I hope you like it too.

25Maerz18.png

25Maerz18hs.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Like 3

@Pixey ... very nice ...I like the font and the way you've got a shimmery look going on.  Do i detect negation in there ?

@dipstick ... again very nice.  Great animation too. 

It is a bit long winded I guess, but the more plays with Texture Smoother and Shader and it sort of becomes second nature about the settings.  So far I haven't found any plugins that will produce the text results available and as yet undiscovered that the Heightmap plugins give.  I guess it's like everything, we all like to find our own workings ?  

@Seerose ... and again very nice.  Love that one of the desert of the glossiness of the waterlily.  Awesome.

Got to say thanks to @MJW for giving plugins capable of giving Sculptris/ blender quality text and to all those who've repped it

• Like 2

Yeah, your'e cool, to each their own. Your version yields great results. I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of all your tuts. Just saying... 

I've been playing around with various glass effects today. I used a custom shape ( I believe it was one of Lydia's?) and desided to make a Crystal Ball effect animation out of it...

ZzWvKGE.gif

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 7

On 3/25/2018 at 9:46 PM, dipstick said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of all your tuts. Just saying... 

Me too, mate.  Me too ... especially from someone as headshot as me ;)

cool new animation.  Definitely in all our futures sometime :lol:

This is a great tut.  Yes, I put a 'twist' on it.  I achieved your result @welshblue and then kept going.  :lol:    (I happily played for hours...)

glasstext_01.png

This is very similar to text I was playing with 2 years ago.  I adapted a PS tutorial for transparent text and never quite finished it.  (oh well!)

The image below was achieved with both BB's and Red ochre's 'Bevel Object' plugins and MJW's 'Edgeshader'.  Your 'glass' steps really make it 'pop'!

Thank you, thank you!  Well done!   :star: :star: :star:

glasstext_02.png

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 3

<3 Dear @lynxster4!  :trophy:  Your ideas and achievements are great,  and very nice colors. Thank you for sharing. :cake: :coffee:

• Like 1

Hmmm. I tried this, but my light options are grayed out for Texture Smoother. I have paint.net 4.0.21 and I downloaded the linked plugins fresh. Any suggestions?

Did you put a check mark where it says show shading? Be sure to uncheck it before hitting OK.

Edited by Woodsy
  • Like 1