How do I "shade" in the edge of a picture?

Hi, I want to paint over part of my picture, but i only want that part of the picture to be changed, not the background. Basically I want to draw over the picture without editting the background. How do I do this? I seemed to have been able to shade only a certain part of a picture before, but I can no longer remember how.

1. Open the image

2. Add a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:

3. Draw whatever you wish on the top (new) layer.

4. Save the image as a PDN to preserve the layer structure.

5. Then flatten (Ctrl + F) and use File > Save As... to save it as a single layered image in JPG or PNG format.

Just now, Ego Eram Reputo said:

1. Open the image

2. Add a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:

3. Draw whatever you wish on the top (new) layer.

4. Save the image as a PDN to preserve the layer structure.

5. Then flatten (Ctrl + F) and use File > Save As... to save it as a single layered image in JPG or PNG format.

Can you look at the picture? I knew about that but the way I used to do it was with one layer, and that seems much easier.

PNGs are one layer - so all of the image is on a single layer. In oder to overwrite some of that image, the easiest way is to add a new layer. Anything you draw on that layer will obscure the existing layer.

Just now, Ego Eram Reputo said:

PNGs are one layer - so all of the image is on a single layer. In oder to overwrite some of that image, the easiest way is to add a new layer. Anything you draw on that layer will obscure the existing layer.

Yeah, but doing that would change the background, which I want transparent and nothing on. I just wish I had a good memory so I could remember how I did it... Thanks for helping though :/

What you want to shade is 'behind' the text. That is, the text has been plastered on top of it.

Think of the image as a fence. Everything you see is painted on the fence. In the case of your image, the text has been painted last. Your only options are to paint over the text, or very carefully paint around each letter.

Magic wand the darker green stripe with the magic wand and a tolerance of 22% selects most of the dark stripe if that helps.

1 minute ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

What you want to shade is 'behind' the text. That is, the text has been plastered on top of it.

Think of the image as a fence. Everything you see is painted on the fence. In the case of your image, the text has been painted last. Your only options are to paint over the text, or very carefully paint around each letter.

Magic wand the darker green stripe with the magic wand and a tolerance of 22% selects most of the dark stripe if that helps.

Ok, thanks.