How can I get a bright and dark layer to cancel each other out?

ZeeDog

I've been trying a semi transparent black layer and semi transparent white layer on top of a color layer so I can shade easily. I expected the bright and dark to cancel each other out, but what happens is I get grey and the picture looks discolored where they meet. The advice I got was to just not let the bright and dark touch, but that is incredibly difficult for me. Is there any way around this?

Hi ZeeDog, welcome to the forum :)

The advice you've been given seems odd, as it the technique you're using to create shadows.

How about we start from scratch? Post the image you're using and tell us where you want to shade. I'm sure one of the talented artists here will be more than willing to help you.

9 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hi ZeeDog, welcome to the forum :)

The advice you've been given seems odd, as it the technique you're using to create shadows.

How about we start from scratch? Post the image you're using and tell us where you want to shade. I'm sure one of the talented artists here will be more than willing to help you.

I can't access it right now, but what I did was this

White edges

White

Black edges

Black

Color

Lineart

Line art is a normal layer, color is multiply. The other layers are partially transparent, and are done with a big soft brush. I use selection to isolate each individual part to shade, then do each shading layer on that part. I use 2 layers for each type of shading so I can somewhat simulate pen pressure. I have to do it this way because all I have is a mouse, and can't do things with too much precision.

The problem is that sometimes the white and black layers touch, and it creates a gray that discolors the image. I want to see if there was a way I could do this so that when white and black meet, they just cancel each other out and just act as transparent, and do so porportionately 

I'm still guessing I'm afraid....Try changing the blend mode of the white/dark layers.

Color Burn darkens an image, treating White as transparent

Color Dodge brightens an image, treating black as transparent

13 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm still guessing I'm afraid....Try changing the blend mode of the white/dark layers.

Color Burn darkens an image, treating White as transparent

Color Dodge brightens an image, treating black as transparent

I'll try this when I get home, but just to be clear, which layer is affected by blend modes? I've just been trying different blend modes without really understanding them

The layer which has the blend mode applied is blended with the layer immediately below it in the Layers Window.

Hello @ZeeDog

As asked, could you post an image? This will help us to help you!

8 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The layer which has the blend mode applied is blended with the layer immediately below it in the Layers Window.

Any  layer with a blend mode is blended with the resulting blending of all layers below it...

13 hours ago, ZeeDog said:

so I can shade easily

Forget the semi-transparent black and white layers.  Create a new transparent layer above the 'color' layer and set the blending mode to 'Color Burn' as below.

shading.png

This can also be done for highlighting; just change the 'color burn' layer to 'color dodge' and use same shades.