paint.net 4.0.21 is slow to start

Go to solution Solved by maxgoof,

4.0.21 has a problem starting up. It goes into a "not responding" mode that could take seconds to minutes to come out of, if it comes out at all.

It also has a horrible time starting when called from an image, meaning, if I double click on image.jpg it can take forever to start.

This never occurred before.

<moved to PDN Discussions & Questions>

How many plugins have you got installed? The reason I ask is that having a large number of plugins slows startup significantly.

Regarding the number of plug-ins: I don't know. I have added no plug-ins beyond the ones that have come with paint.NET. I seriously doubt that is the problem, though, as I have added no new plug-ins since installing the new version, and this did not occur before that update.

I have re-installed the program. That did not solve the problem.

I've read other threads reporting similar problems, and frankly, it's like responders are trying to find sources for the problem outside of paint.NET. As an example, some have pointed to discord. Discord is a chat program, and really should have nothing in common with paint.NET. I actually went and unloaded discord (I never cared for it anyway) and that did not solve the problem.

Seriously, the problem is most likely in the latest build, since this did not occur with the previous version, and I am VERY tempted to find that version and re-installing it.

Edited by maxgoof
spelling error

8 hours ago, maxgoof said:

As an example, some have pointed to discord. Discord is a chat program, and really should have nothing in common with paint.NET.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/112542-paintnet-crash-after-opening/?do=findComment&comment=543575

Pro-tip: In that post, Rick mentions Windows updates and NVidia drivers. Make sure all are up to date.

8 hours ago, maxgoof said:

and frankly, it's like responders are trying to find sources for the problem outside of paint.NET

We offer suggestions based on previous experience. Like my question about the number of plugins. The symptoms you mentioned are an exact duplicate of those found by plugin heavy systems.

Try this: Rename your Effects folder to something else, then restart paint.net. This will hide most of your plugins from paint.net when it starts. If startup is improved you've found a likely source of your problem.

BTW, just for your edification, yes, when I changed the name of the Effects directory, the program started right away.

HOWEVER...NONE of the effects are dated later than 2016, the size of the effect directory is only a tad over 1Mb, and as I said, previous versions of paint.net did NOT have this problem, and all of the plug-ins worked.

It only started with this latest version.

So, please, stop blaming the plug-ins and look at WHY paint.net chugs with plug-ins.

1 hour ago, maxgoof said:

BTW, just for your edification, yes, when I changed the name of the Effects directory, the program started right away.

Sounds like there is something in your Effects folder that is causing a problem.

Can you give us a screenshot of your Effects folder (including the window frame, address bar, etc.)?  Maybe someone in here can spot the problem file.

2 hours ago, maxgoof said:

Easy wasn't it? As @BoltBait has said, you've probably got something in your Effects folder that shouldn't be there OR you have a huge number of plugins (you still haven't told us how many).

2 hours ago, maxgoof said:

HOWEVER...NONE of the effects are dated later than 2016, the size of the effect directory is only a tad over 1Mb, and as I said, previous versions of paint.net did NOT have this problem, and all of the plug-ins worked.

Stop prevaricating. We didn't ask for the age of the plugins or the size of the directory. Neither is important here. If you really want our help, try answering the questions we're asking:

1. How many plugins in the \Effect\ directory?

2. Show us a screenshot of the \Effects\ directory

• Like 1

And BOTH of you miss the point:

NONE of the plug-ins are recent. They ALL were there a year ago with the older version of paint.net. ALL of them.

And I had NO problem then. Nip. Zero. Nada.

Now, with this new version, it chugs.

And you blame the plug-ins???????

Here's the list, btw.

Untitled.png

Edited by maxgoof
adding in plug-in list

Is that all the files in \Effects\ or are there more (they may not be DLLs)?

@Rick Brewster

I know too well this issue with Win10

Could it be because these DLL's are not digitally signed by a certified source - Windows performs a series of validity checks on them before loading them into memory.

I imagine each one is run through that antimalware app to ensure they don't contain anything damaging.

The second execution of Paint.Net always loads immediately (within 2 Seconds).

I see this as because they have already been checked or they still reside in memory.

It is only the first time Paint.Net is started (after a fresh reboot or cold start) that this long loading process occurs.

Also - due to the fact that when plugins are removed - Paint.Net loads immediately as well. Its not an issue with Paint.Net - It's an issue with the DLL's

This should get things started in finding a solution B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

1) Yes, those are all the files in that directory.

2) I'm not talking about blame, I'm trying to isolate where the problem is, and again and again, responders seem to be completely ignoring the possibility of a bug in the way paint.net handles the Effects directory.

3) Sorry, no. Disabling the Effects directory does NOT prove that paint.net is not the problem, for two reasons.

3a) As I already mentioned, I have added nothing to the Effects directory for over a year. Previous versions of paint.net did not have this problem.
3b) Is it not at all possible that the way paint.net is handling the Effects directory that could be the problem? Of course it could be.

Now, with regard to Windows 10 having to authenticate the dlls before allowing paint.net to load them, is there no way to tell Windows 10, "Hey, you already checked those ten times to Sunday. Stop checking them over and over."?

21 hours ago, maxgoof said:

is there no way to tell Windows 10, "Hey, you already checked those ten times to Sunday. Stop checking them over and over."?

It's called an exclusion rule in windows defender. I made one for the effects folder and reduced the load time by 90%.  Amazing. B)

• Like 1

I would advise employing a Windows Defender exclusion rule only for temporary troubleshooting.

While I can obviously vouch that Paint.NET doesn't have a virus, I can't vouch for plugins. We have seen bootleg plugin packs with a virus before.

Plus, things can get hacked. If Equifax and other big name companies can get hacked, then Paint.NET can't be 100% immune either. If that happens, it's better to have Windows Defender as a safety net. Or maybe an effect author's download page gets hacked and a virus is slipped in.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Just for clarification @Rick Brewster

On 16/03/2018 at 3:41 PM, Rick Brewster said:

This is supposed to be about figuring out a solution.

You're making it sound like I am turning off Defender. This is not the case. I just don't need Defender to run a virus check on the 500 files in the effects folder every time I start paint. The tradeoff with loading time is worth it. I will be very careful adding any NEW files to the effects folder now that the exclusion rule is in effect. When I download files - I always use my download folder to allow defender to have a look before installing or moving any files to any other folder. B)

To add to the topic: I experienced exactly the same issues with Paint.net as MaxGoof: slow startup as of 4.0.21. I reinstalled Paint.net with only the standard plugins, nothing more, nothing less, but it did not resolve the problem. Only the first start is slow, any subsequent start is fast. Andrews idea sounds plausible so I added the exclusion rules to Defender and will see if that fixes things. 

• Solution

Adding the Effects directory to the Defender exception list appears to have done the trick.

My question is, is this a change in Defender, Windows, or PDN that this only appeared after the installation of the latest version of PDN?

On 20/03/2018 at 12:09 PM, AndrewDavid said:

Let us know what effect it has in resolvng your issue. Worked great for me. B)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-antivirus

I can confirm that this has increased my PDN start up time 10 fold, thanks for the link @AndrewDavid :) 

swIFX9v.png