Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Eroded Metal Text

I echo @AD - another great tutorial from @welshblue - you sure know how to make the best use of Plugins - amazing stuff :star:

I took the liberty of trying out a shape, instead of text :)

Erode_Bottle.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

This is another excellent tutorial, but I did want to mention one thing. I sort of disagree with the instruction that the outline color can be any color except black or white. The results from using different colors will be quite unpredictable, since the height associated with a particular color is non-intuitive. I recommend always using shades of gray. The lighter the gray, the higher the height. The height is directly proportional to the amount of white, so a pixel of (127, 127, 127) is almost exactly half the height of a pixel of  (255, 255, 255). (To learn more about it than you're likely want to know, read my explanation of Twenty-four Bit Height Maps.)

Well, a faux-leather texture made a rather fun result. Kind of looks like an 80s diary cover!

I can see quite a few uses for this effect. :)

MvsUPBv.png

Edited by LionsDragon
  • Like 6

@dipstick @AndrewDavid @Pixey @LionsDragon @lynxster4 @Seerose ... really nice results guys.  Thanks for trying it and putting your own takes

Nothing wrong with 'wondering' ... a guide to opening up possibilities is how I view tuts' , whether my own or someone else's.

I wonder a lot ... like how many pairs of shoes does one woman need ... or how come my wife goes in to a supermarket for literally a couple of things, but still comes out after someone who went in after her, but they come out first with carrier bags full of stuff :lol:

I actually learnt something myself from this one. 

I used blue as the inner outline so it was visible on a white background, but as @MJW rightly pointed out, colours can be a bit unpredictable as the below examples show.

All done with the same splinter/ texture shader settings but different colourings.  Eg.  Black text ... white outline ... black border / black text ... green outline ... black border etc

test_5.png

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, welshblue said:

I used blue as the inner outline so it was visible on a white background, but as @MJW rightly pointed out, colours can be a bit unpredictable as the below examples show.

Something I should have mentioned is that for most purposes, only the amount of red in the color matters. The amount of green has little effect, and the amount of blue even less. So if you want to choose a color with good contrast, just make sure the amount of red in the color is proportional to the desired height.

My wife would love you @MJW ... reinforcing proof that I don't know everything ... :D  

But having fun learning.  And to be honest I owe you huge thanks because playing with Texture Shader has kept me sane during 3 hospital stays this year

She says this is more plastic than glass ? 

Done pretty much the same way as the eroded text but without the Object Bevel

glass_text_again.png

... also just noticed.  Thanks too @Woodsy and @Ego Eram Reputo for sorting the PDF.  One less job.  Also thanks to those who repped the tut'

• Like 5

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

She says this is more plastic than glass ?

Either....depends on how you look at it!   :P

On 28/02/2018 at 10:09 PM, Woodsy said:

I'll trade you a PDF for a tut.

Currently working on it mate. 

One of three things may happen first 1.  I'll kill my wife.  2. She'll kill me 3. We'll get divorced over what we can agree or not agree on is 'glass'

Love the glossiness of your take on the tut' 

On 28/02/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The bill will arrive shortly... :lol:

Make it a small one ... not earned a penny since Christmas :/

Then got caught out with These Parking Charges  when my car wouldn't start.  2 hours of them before the RAC arrived ... it's my wallet that's been eroded

7 hours ago, Moodachay said:

i think i need a better background

That is some seriously eroded metal!  ?     Yes, a different background would highlight the lettering better.  Good job!

• Like 1